Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Marinated Hot Wings

Options
Fidel
Fidel Posts: 10,172
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
These turned out great. Incredibly crispy skin, moist and tender interior, and a good heat without the sauce making them soggy. A friend sent me this marinade recipe, I am unsure of the original source.

Started by marinating wings in the following:

1 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons Frank's Red Hot
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon granulated garlic

Let them soak for 6 hours. Then I took them out and put them on a cooling rack over a cookie sheet and let them air dry in the fridge for 2 hours.

Cooked them direct at 375* on the rig, highest setting, with coals only about halfway up the firebox. I wanted the wings about 18" or so above the heat. I left the spider in to try and give some perspective to the distance between the wings and the coals.

WingsOn-1.jpg

WingSetup.jpg

I turned them once during the cook and spun the grid to try and make sure they cooked evenly. When they got to about 180* internal - almost done - I put them in a mixing bowl with some Anchor Bar Suicidal sauce, tossed them, then put them back on the grid for another 10 minutes and let them crisp up.

PreSauce.jpg

TossedinSauce.jpg

BackOn.jpg

Pulled them off, tossed them in the bowl again just to get a hint more sauce on them. Served with traditional side of celery and blue cheese and an ice cold beer.

Done.jpg

These were very good. I highly recommend you give these a rip sometime for some really good wings. The vinegar in the marinade has just enough tang to cut the heat and give the flavor some good depth.

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    Ocala?? :woohoo: I like the hot wings over sauced. I'll have to give those a shot. Thanks Rod
  • Boss Hogg
    Boss Hogg Posts: 1,377
    Options
    Rod,
    I haven't taken the extra step of marinating my wings before cooking them, but I'll give that recipe a try. What temp did you cook tham at?
    Brian in PA
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Rod,

They look brilliant. I'll bring a couple of bottles of Arizona to Ocala. Sounds like a perfect fit.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    Those look great and I just happen to have 12 wings to cook tomorrow or Tuesday.

What temp did you cook at???

Thanks,
    Bordello
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Thanks Rod. I'll give those a rip and I love the rad name of the sauce!
    YUM!
    Molly
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Fidel
    Options
    375*.

I fixed the original post. I knew when I was typing it up I was forgetting something. I need another beer.
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Fidel...Those look great! Nice techniques! Glad you aren't throwin down in Ocala... :woohoo: :woohoo: :evil: Thanks for sharing! A recipe I will try!
    Michelle
    Hollywood, FL
  • Fidel
    Options
    Steve,

I'll bring some of this hot sauce. I think you'll be a fan. It's a bit on the hot side.
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Options
    The extra dipping really pays off it looks like. Some of the better looking wings I've seen. Not dryed out. Now where's that beer?!! :P
  • Fidel
    Options
    I wouldn't dare try to throw down against Bubba's wings.

But I still volunteer to judge them. :silly:

Word is I may cook some of these at the fest or the after party.
  • Bash
    Bash Posts: 1,011
    Options
    I've just feasted on baby backs, but your post sure looks great.

I think I'll have some wings in my plans.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    i was thinking wings while golfing today....will do some this week. thanks, tom
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Options
    Wowwwwwwwwww Rod...talk about the evolution of colour & flavour ..in those wings...just great ;)
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Rod those look perfect! Is there a group caravanning down to Ocala?
  • Fidel
    Options
    Kim and I talked about a caravan Todd, but he is leaving real early Friday - like pre-dawn early.

Maybe we can arrange something and a few of us meet on the southside somewhere and go from there.

I drive like a grandma though.
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    I'm looking forward to trying this long-awaited recipe, Rod. Thanks for the writeup and photos. Perhaps this recipe will be the one to make me a wing man!

For planning purposes, about how long did the "almost done" initial cook to 180º internal take?
  • Fidel
    Options
    About 40 minutes for the first "phase". I flipped them at 20 minutes.

The 180* isn't really a precise target, just more of a place to stop and sauce them and then cook for 10-12 more minutes and get them done but not overdone. The last 10 minutes to set the sauce is really crucial in my book. This dries the hot sauce and prevents it from ruining the nice crispy skin. If you take them too high you risk drying out the meat.

I hope if you try these you like them. Another key is to use a wing/hot sauce that you really enjoy. If you aren't a fan of pepper sauces then you can also toss them in a little melted butter and a heavy dose of lemon pepper. BBQ sauce is another option, but I don't know how that would pair with the marinade.
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    Ok, I've got to check my reservations. I prefer early morning too!
  • BuBaQlishus
    BuBaQlishus Posts: 132
    Options
    Wow..these look great and thanks for the great detail :woohoo:
  • ArchDeluxe
    ArchDeluxe Posts: 31
    Options
    Fidel, do you know how long these are on the grill? I'm assuming around an hour total. Thanks. ;)