Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

26 lb ham

Options
bbq boy
bbq boy Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got a large BGE and a 26 lb ham. Sounds like a winning combination. Anyone got any tips? What temp should BGE be? and how many minutes per pound?

Comments

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Wow, are you hosting a block party? Is the ham pre-cooked or are you starting out in the raw? Given the details I'm sure someone here will be able to help you. Hope it's a great party! 8 - )
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    is it a precooked ham you just want to heat up with a little smoke?

or a fresh ham that you want to cook like a roast? ...or like pulled pork? or that you want to cure and cook like a "ham"-ham?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • bbq boy
    Options
    The ham is a Cook's Ham - Hickory Smoked, but it is not fully cooked. I want to have it like Ham (not pulled).
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    If some cooking clues were enclosed in the packaging, that would be a good place to start. If it's not fully cooked you'd best have some kind of tool (thermometer) to monitor the internal temperature at the center of the thickest dimension. I take it that you're relatively new to Egging and wonder what the benefit (other than the challenge) is of doing a huge ham on the BGE vs. in an oven. Hope you don't get overwhelmed with too many variables and turn your well-meant efforts into a disaster! Good luck!!
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    Treat it like you would if using a oven. Or if you want mopre smoke add hicory to the lump to bump up the smoke flavor.
    There are zillions of receips online for Smoked Ham you can use google to search for one that has the ingredients you have also.
    In the search bar do Cooks+Ham+Brown+sugar+honey+mustard+receipe,,,etc. Get the idea?
    Have a great cook te egg will carry you through.
    E
  • Chef Boyaree
    Chef Boyaree Posts: 150
    Options
    I re-heated a smoked ham on my egg at Easter, albeit not a 26 lb one. I used a maple bourbon glaze and it was out of this world.

See below (but take into consideration the timing in recipe is for a smaller ham, though not sure of exact size):

Smear the Maple-Bourbon Paste all over the exposed surfaces (except flat side). Cover loosely with plastic wrap and put in refrigerator until ready to smoke (You can remove ham from refrigerator up to one hour before cooking).
    Stabilize egg at 250° F. with plate setter (legs up) regular grid with raised grid attached. Put 3 or 4 good size chunks of wood on coals, then place ham on raised grid. Cook until internal temperature reaches 140° F. (this should take about 5 hours).

Maple-Bourbon Paste

2 Tbls. pure Maple Syrup
    2 Tbls. freshly ground Black Pepper
    2 Tbls. Dijon or Honey-Dijon Mustard
    1 Tbls. Bourbon
    1 Tbls. Vegetable Oil
    1 Tbls. Paprika
    1 Tbls. Onion Powder
    2 tsp. coarse Salt, either Kosher or Sea Salt
  • bbq boy
    Options
    That sounds wonderful. I am relatively new to the BGE, although I've been smoking for quite awhile. I am also a BBQ judge and have thermoters etc.. to check doneness of the meat. I want to give it a good smoked taste (not overdone) and was just looking for ideas.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. The maple glaze sounds great!!!
  • Chef Boyaree
    Options
    The thickness of the maple glaze prevents it from getting too smokey. My one criticism when I did it was that the smoked hams tend to be salty. The next time I do it I will buy a fresh ham and use only a little salt in the brining process.
  • bbq boy
    Options
    Do you remember how big your ham was? I was just wondering how much to increase your recipe by (2 or 3 times).

Thanks again. It sounds very good!!
  • Chef Boyaree
    Options
    on the smaller end... maybe 7-8lbs... fit perfectly in the small drip pan that BGE sells to go w/ the poultry stands...
  • pplkook
    pplkook Posts: 54
    Options
    Someone on the board recommended Alton Brown's City Ham recipe. I did it on the egg, and man was it out of this world. I have been keeping an eye out for cheap hams with the hope to duplicate, but seem to miss the sales.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/city-ham-recipe/index.html

Good luck!
  • bbq boy
    Options
    I appreciate that. I will be trying Alton Brown's recipe for City Ham! Sounds great and the instructions should work well with the egg.