Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

grid temp open vs close sear?

Jeff J
Jeff J Posts: 55
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
T-rex recently posted that he did all his sears dome open. I've always seared dome closed and thought that to be the only way, seems not. What I'm wondering is what temp you get at the grid level with the dome open on a sear. I always sear at 700 plus, when I open the lid the flames get bigger, more air, but does the cooking temp drop or rise? Have any of you guys with these temp sensors ever checked this? Like if you got a 700 dome temp when you open up the egg what grid temp is maintained?

Comments

• Rich G
    Rich G Posts: 103
    RibEye02_Grill01.jpg
    <p />Hey, Jeff.[p]I have never measured the temps after I open the dome to sear. I usually let the dome temps get to 750º before I open to sear, and I assume that the grid temps probably rises when open due to the larger amount of available oxygen and the increased draft. The picture here was a ribeye getting seared on the first side after the dome temp got to 750º.[p]HTH,
    Rich G.

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Jeff J,[p]I, like many others just assumed the sear was with the dome closed, so like you, searing with the dome open was a new adventure. [p]Once I tried it, I've never worried again about dome vs grid in the steak searing scenario, simply 'cause I figure HOT is HOT. Once you're up there in the nuke temp range, you're gonna get the job done in just a minute or two anyway so as long as the flames are licking the steak well, no need to worry.[p]Here's a filet at the flip...
    filet-with-fire.jpg[p]And, here's a ribeye for ya....
    ribeye-with-fire.jpg[p]Looking forward to meeting you and your family at the Florida Q-Fest in October...[p]Tonia
    :~)[p]

• QBabe, and Whizz[p]thanks for the Beef Ribs, peppercorn, orange juice recipe. Sounds great!

[ul][li]Beef Ribs[/ul]
  • Jeff J,
    i'm another one that has always seared dome closed. . .guess i'll have to give it a try dome opened. . .from the picks posted here, can't imagine you could go wrong either way. . .

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Jeff J,[p]During searing, you're utilizing the radiant heat from the glowing coals and the conductive heat from the grill grid. Those two sources of heat are the primary players in giving you a good sear. Dome temp (air temp inside dome) prior to sear is just an indication of how hot your coals are, and how well your oxygen is flowing. I guarantee you, if flames are licking your steak, the temperature at that location is much higher than 700 degrees. ; )[p]TRex
  • Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    QBabe,
    Great picture. I'll have that rib steak for breakfast. You got me so hungry I'm going to have to raid the fridge. You prefer searing on the small size egg? I only have a small but judging from photos it seems to do a fantastic job.

• Phil
    Phil Posts: 26
    Jeff J,
    This has been a great post. I like others assumed that TRex's method was dome closed. I now know why I each of my sears always turned out different.
    That tears it...looks like I'm going to have to cook tonight to see how open dome does.[p]Phil

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Charbon,[p]I have small, medium and large eggs, and I DO find that certain things lend to a particular egg or another. For me, the SMALL is the only one to do steaks on, if you have the luxury of a choice. I've done them on the others, and while there's nothing wrong with what comes off, I feel that they are BEST when I do them on the small egg.[p]QBabe
    :~)

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Phil,[p]Yeah, I didn't make that really clear in the original write-up, but I've made a point to clear it up in the revised write-up.[p]Check it out on the Naked Whiz's site.[p]TRex