Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Two 2" Porterhouse steaks.

Options
Babyray
Babyray Posts: 250
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thinking about doing these T-Rex method, with just salt and pepper and a little Cowlick rub. Does this sound OK? or should I marinate in anything? Thanks, Ray

Comments

• Lawn Ranger
    Options
    Babyray,
    Don't even think of marinade. Porterhouse is my favorite cut of meat and the method you mentioned is perfect in my book. Of course, it's just an opinion...and one from Texas at that.[p]Go Cowboys?[p]Mike

• wdan
    wdan Posts: 261
    Options
    Babyray,
    I have not been fortunate enough to find Porterhouses or T-Bones that thick, but I am able to get individual strips and tenderloins in that range. I then make "boneless" T-bones (TRex method). Have had no problems getting both types of cuts to finish at the same time and both the same doneness.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Babyray,
    other than maybe a little olive oil, i think you're right on target. .. should be excellent!!

• bbqbeth
    bbqbeth Posts: 178
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    exactly...not even salt, till it's cooked. to taste.
    pepper doesn't hurt...
    wish i was there!
    :)

• Babyray,[p]No marinade (and no ketsup either!)
  • mad max beyond eggdome,
    I just cooked a couple of 2" T-Bones about a week ago. They were 2 lbs each. They were great.[p]I'm not trying to start a comparison of grills thread. I'm not trying to start any negative discussions. I'm not intending to break any forum rules.
    I am just linking to a post about 2" thick T-bone steaks. [p]

• Babyray,
    having tried multiple rubs, marinades etc, the very best steaks I have had are just rubbed with a bit of olive oil, then lots of fresh ground black pepper and a generous sprinkling of kosher salt, then cooked with the T Rex method. Worked real well with a 2 inch T bone last week and with 2 2 inch NY strips last night!

• jwitheld
    Options
    Babyray,
    if you buy good beef then you wont need rub. those porterhouse steaks should be fine. if you buy lesser cuts try rubs.

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    That's a pretty controversial post there, Max. Especially since we weren't invited to dinner! :)[p]Jim
  • Babyray,
    Most of the time I agree with the other posters here on using just salt and pepper on a good steak. However, every now and then I like to marinate a nice ribeye in Dale's Marinade for about 30 minutes (it's strong stuff, 30 minutes is plenty!) before I throw it on the fire. The result isn't a strong taste, it just sort of kicks the steak up a notch. Try it sometime. Also, while I like lean steaks like sirloins, porterhouse, filets, etc. medium rare, I think ribeyes are better if cooked to medium. It gives the fat and connective tissue a chance to melt and the steak is actually juicier and has more flavor than a rare ribeye. Just my opinion of course![p]Regards,
    Chuck Lane

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Max Power,
    gee, what did i say?. . .

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Max Power,
    oh, i get it now (hey its early in the morning). . .i just went to your link. . .great looking steaks. .. i don't care what you cooked them on. . .ceramics are ceramics. . ..glad to see the link to your post. . .