Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Extra grid for the small

Options
WudEyeDoo
WudEyeDoo Posts: 201
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am wanting to get a cheapie extra grid for the small. I remember someone said weber makes one that will fit on the small. I don't think they make a 13" grid but one of their sizes apparently works on the small. What size is it? Where is my best bet to find it?

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    WudEyeDoo,
    I made from a 14" Weber grid I bought from Home Depot.
    Larry

[ul][li]Extra Grid for Small Egg[/ul]
  • WudEyeDoo
    Options
    YB,[p]Thanks Larry!

• WudEyeDoo
    Options
    YB,
    I just called Home Depot. They said they have the weber 14.5" replacement grid. Is that what you got or is that extra half inch going to make it too big?

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    WudEyeDoo,
    I think thats it....The egg is a little larger where the raised grid sits...I can measure mine when I get home to make sure.
    Larry

• WudEyeDoo
    Options
    I appreciate your quick responses, Larry. You don't need to measure when you get home. I will do that. Thanks again,
    Bob

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    WudEyeDoo,
    Weber mades a grid that is really a charcoal grid. It fits perfectly. It is labeled funny because it is the charcoal grid for an 18 inch cooker (I think), so it isn't labled 13.5 inches, it is labeled 18 inches, or something like that.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    WudEyeDoo,[p]What you want is a replacement 14" cooking grid for the Weber "smoky joe" mini kettle. Raised on bolts, it fits perfectly in the small and alters the cooking characteristics to match that of the large Egg.[p]K~G

• Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    Options
    WudEyeDoo,
    Webber Smokey Joe chrome plated grid is about 13.75 inches in diameter. It fits so tight you may not get it down far enough to rest on the fire ring not to mention the outside chance of expansion and cracking egg. I would go with the Webber charcoal grate for 18.5 Webber. Not plated but fits better on ring. It can then support fire bricks and porceline grate. Iv'e been using small Lodge fry pan for space and grease catcher which seems to be easier than bricks etc. Ace Hardware has both types as replacements both under 10 bucks. Good luck

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    Options
    Charbon,[p]The uncoated Weber grill can be "seasoned" just like cast iron to reduce the rust. Just reapply grease/lard/oil/shortning as needed to keep it up. Over time it will pretty much stick free.[p]Ashley