Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

KC Strip Alton Brown style

Comments

• jdee,[p]OK, where's the after picture? [grin]

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • jdee,
    seeing is believing. .. but . .. HOW WAS IT???? did you have to pick little bits of lump out of your teeth??.. . .[p]also,[p]how long per side?. . .what was the exact cooking method. . [p]thx[p]max

• jdee,[p]I clicked too soon I see. Nice!

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • mad max beyond eggdome,
    60 second per side no lumps on steak. I let it sit for 10 minutes and cook it at 400 degree until it is done

• jdee,
    thanks dude. .. not sure i've got the chatzpa to try that one .. .but i may just have to do anyway. .. it will sure amaze the witnesses . ..

• Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    jdee,
    I read of a restaurant in the New England States that cooks their steaks in the fireplace. Crunching ashes is supposed to increase the zest for the steak.[p]I would think that the choice of wood is critical. Also, beware of the critters lurking in the bark.[p]

• Hooter
    Hooter Posts: 134
    jdee,[p]I saw a dude on Food Network do this very thing on a regular charcoal grill. He had a bed of coals going, then took a blowdryer and blew off ash dust, then seared right on the coals. I thought it sounded crazy, but there you are doing it!
  • Hooter, Taht was Alton Brown. "Good Eats"

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,739
    jdee,
    used this method on a boneless leg of lamb this weekend. packed the inside with fresh basil and mint, threw 25 dollars worth of meat into fire pit and watched the reactions from the guests.60 seconds per side, you just have to believe your doing the right thing and go for it. the results were great, very moist, pulled at 125 degrees internal with inderect cook @ 350 F.[p]does any one have a source for very long tongs?

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    fishlessman,[p]Ok, now you have me VERY confused...[p]You said you did the direct on the coals cook with lamb, ok I'm with you so far. But then you said you cooked indirect at 350°. Maybe I just haven't had enough coffee yet this morning, but what am I missing?[p]Thanks,
    QBabe
    :~)

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,739
    QBabe,stuffed internals with basil and mint inserted galic cloves into meat, oiled salted peppered, cooked the roast in the coals (dug a hole roughly the size of the roast) one minute per side. rested for 20 minutes like the trex method until grill was at 350/375 degrees. set up a raised grill on bricks , pan with v rack for an indirect cook. salted and peppered again. had to rewrap string to keep internal herbs in place (fresh basil and mint)origional string was very burnt. cooked at 350 until internal temp was at 127 F -next time will try 122 F as i like lamb more pink. when internals hit 100F i put a spagetti squash under pan on lower grill and continued at 350 F until done with the lamb still indirect on pan on upper grill. cherry wood and hickory for smoke. when lamb came off grill wrapped in tin foil until grilled pinapple was done.[p]
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    fishlessman,[p]Thanks for clarifying! I had never had lamb before and I've done it twice now on my egg, each time with WONDERFUL success (one time was boneless leg roast with raspberry chipotle bbq sauce and another was pistachio encrusted frenched chops).[p]Glad to hear yours turned out well...[p]QBabe
    :~)

• Zip
    Zip Posts: 372
    jdee,[p]This is a great way to do steaks and really gets folks stirred up when you do with a audience. The first I saw of this was by the folks that were said to have invented the "Grilled Pizza". I believe the guy's name was George Germon and his wife from the restaurant "Al Forno" did this for Julia Childs in her "Master Chefs" series on PBS probably close to ten years ago. As long as you use lump and stir it before you put on the steaks, there will be very little lump stuck to the meat. I really thought just like Julia did that they had lost their minds. Got up the guts to try it and it was really good.[p]Ashley