Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Tables

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
For those of you who have built their own tables, are there many oak ones out there?

Comments

• Ripnem
    Ripnem Posts: 5,511
    Oak and the elements don't get along well. Most use woods that are naturally treated. Such as Cedar, Cypress, Redwood, Teak and other exotic hardwoods.
  • JCinGA
    JCinGA Posts: 139
    I made mine out of oak. I don't have any pics.
  • Did you use anything special to seal it with?
  • I made the frame of mine out of red oak. It's finished in several coats of spar urethane. The brand I like is Minwax Helmsman, which was considerably easier to work with than Varathane (only two I tried).

Two coats on interior surfaces. Four coats on exterior/exposed surfaces.

The top of the table and the shelf is maple-faced plywood, left over from a cabinet job. Same finishes.

This is for Colorado, generally low humidity and lots of UV.
  • JCinGA
    JCinGA Posts: 139
    I used Minwax Poly spar varnish.
    I put on two coats that wasn't enough. This year I rough sanded it and put on six more. If I were to do it again I would use minwax clear shield instead of the spar varnish or go to my local aircraft supply house and by some epoxy wing spar varnish.
    Another thing that helps preserve the finish is keep your cart covered when egg is not in use. Keep the sun and moisture away from it.
  • wustaz
    wustaz Posts: 10
    ours is made out of Oak. there are about 10 coats of Minwax Helmsman on it and we are getting a cover for it. My husband put the egg in it last night.003-31.jpg

BTW we live in Toronto Ontario Canada
  • cave62
    cave62 Posts: 2
    [img size=150][/img]