Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning my Egg

Zilm-disabled
Zilm-disabled Posts: 69
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have noticed that lately everytime that I cook on my egg it has a real strong smoke taste that is quite bitter. I was wondering if this might be a sign that it's time to take out the hose and clean the bugger out. Have any of you experienced this and if so how do you recommend cleaning the egg?

Comments

• Zilm,[p]I have had my BGE about 4 months. I have cleaned it several times by simply removing all the lump along with the grate and vacuming it out good with a shop vac.[p]So far, it has performed like a brand new one.[p]It makes me nervous to think of "hosing it out" with water.[p]Just a thought.[p]KL[p]
  • Seth
    Seth Posts: 79
    Zilm,
    It is my opinion that you do not want to introduce water to the egg. The bitter taste could be from not letting your lump come up to temp, or from not getting your egg hot enough often enough. If you want to give it a real good cleaning, load it up with fresh lump, fire it up with te top down and wide open, and the bottom vent wide open. Get that sucker as hot as you can, and let it go for a while. Then shut it down, and it will be clean. You can wipe the top with a scouring pad before firing it up to get it a little cleaner, but the high temp process should do the trick. Good luck.
    Seth