Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My daughter's egg dinner

Options
mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
well, my 14 year old daughter, sydney, just saw me posting here on the forum and asked me why i hadn't written about her eggsperience the other night. . . so here it is. . [p]last monday night, syd wanted to make dinner (burgers on the egg). .. so without any help (with the exception of a few bits of advice) she loaded up the firebox, pulled out the mapp torch (not sure i'm thrilled about my teenage daughter having expertise with that), fired up the egg....she set up the burgers with kosher salt and dizzy pig cowlick, then, when temps were set, grilled up some fabulous burgers. .. .served them with mac and cheese and salad. . .[p]she is doing a great job of setting vents and monitoring temps for me. . .i can go out for a while, leave her with temp instructions, and know that she will maintain them with precision. . its like having my own live bbq guru. ..

Comments

• Mike in MN
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    It's a great thing, isn't it? My 16 year old son does the same. He can fend for himself with the BGE. No problem. I can leave with instructions, knowing everything will be taken care of (most of the time...there was that time he got "lost" while gaming) It's great they show an interest in the cooking, because some day they will be doing it for their families.[p]Now my daughter is a different story. She's 19, and I've never seen her cook anything beyond toast. The egg is just that odd, stinky thing out on the deck.....blasphemy.[p]Mike in MN

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Mike in MN,
    my daughter loves to cook, and better, experiment. .....she is the official meat loaf maker in the house, but for some reason, prefers it in the oven rather than the egg. . .we have big arguments about that one, as i've told her her meatloaf on the egg was the best ever. .. oh well. .. i told her next time she makes it we'll just have to do two of them, one in the oven and one on the egg. .. . ain't teen daughters wonderful?? aaaaahhhhhrrrrrr

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,[p]You've GOT to do the two at once so she can find out for herself how much better it is on the egg. I LOVE meatloaf on the egg. Also, I add a tsp of DP's Cowlick Steak rub to my standard meatloaf recipe...it is a WONDERFUL addition and has now become part of the recipe...(thanks DizzyPig!).[p]Tonia
    :~)

• Mike in MN
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    yaaa, they're wonderful. Mine's been a gem. Never been much of a problem.[p]It's that boy....he's a little "active." Good kid, great in school....just always been "busy."[p]It's a good thing we got him going in a lawn business a few years ago....something to occupy his summers with. He just left to do 6 yards...at about $30 apiece. No watching football for him.....Go Ryan, go![p]Mike in MN

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    QBabe,
    since its her recipe, she gets pithy if you suggest changes. . .the tempermental artist and all that. ..

• Seth
    Seth Posts: 79
    Options
    QBabe,
    Care to share your meatloaf recipe? I would appreciate it if you want to.
    Thanks,
    Seth

• seth ,
    here's my recipe.. [p]about 2 lbs of ground beef
    1 onion chopped
    2 cups of italian bread crumbs
    2 eggs
    2 tblspoons ketchup[p]mix it all together, and throw it in a pan or on the egg at 350 for about 1 hour or until done (drizzle a little ketchup on top when you start to cook it). . .[p]its excellent either way. . .[p]mad max's #1 daughter, syd

• Seth
    Seth Posts: 79
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome's eggsistant,
    Thanks Syd. Sounds good.
    Seth