Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Curious - Grill extender hotter than regular grill?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am curious as to whether there is enough difference in temperature between the grill extender and the grill to cook steaks for the same length of time, with those to be rare on the grill and those to be medium rare to be on the grill extender.[p]Being higher in the dome, I would expect those on the grill extender to get hotter. [p]Probably useless trivia but as I said, I am curious.[p]Thank you[p]KL

Comments

• Mike Oelrich
    Options
    KL,[p] I think the answer will depend on how you're cooking those steaks. If you are doing an "oven-type" cook with the daisy or slide top on, then it is common for the temperature at the top of the dome to be a bit higher that on the cooking grid because you are limiting the outflow at the top. However, for steaks done by the normal "flame-kissed" method, I would expect the temperature to be higher closer to the flames . . .[p]Mike