Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st Brisket and killed it. long

tach18k
tach18k Posts: 1,607
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I got a nice 7# brisket for my first attempt. The Egg was fresh from a clean burn off. I filled it full of lump some nice wood chunks and got it lit. 90 minutes later I remembered I lit the Egg. Came out and didn't see much flame out the top. Well the lump and chunks were long gone, I popped open the dome and it was glowing red, everything was white hot, the needle was pushing pass the 100 mark, again. See this is why I don't replace my gaskets. Not a good start at 10pm. I took the plate setter out and let it cool off for an hour, reloaded with new lump and wood chunks. I also recalibrate the thermometer, it was 100 degrees off now. Restarted again, got it at 250 within minutes and stable. toss in the brisket and watched it till 1230am, 250 and holding. 6am checked it and it was holding at 275, meat was 215, oh too long. I pulled it out wrapped it up and put it in a cooler. 3 hours later to see the damaged, bottom was crusty for a good 1/4", dry and not easy to cut. Well it ended up as pulled beef, as there was not much I would do as it would just tear apart when I would slice it. But my Egg is snow white clean!!
This wasn't worth pictures

Comments

• TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Sorry you blew your brisket cook, tach18k. After the high temp clean, I'd have just waited till the next day and started over. Did you not let it cool enough before you started again? Since I don't have a DigiQ, I mostly stay up and watch mine. I had a nice stable fire and put mine on at 11PM Friday and took it off 4PM Saturday.
    Perfect.

My brisket was 12.21 lbs and was a whole untrimmed brisket. Yours was 7 lbs. Was it a flat or point? Next time try a whole untrimmed brisket. I do not trim mine till I take them off and I cook fat down.

Just give yourself lots of time to get your fire stable and don't rush it. Have lots of time the next day. I cook mine between 225-250. I actually aim my dome temp for about 235.

Good luck on the next one.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Without using a remote, I've decided that 4 hours is the longest I want to let a cook go without a check. Its helped me with "turbo-butts," that I expected to be in the plateau at 5 a.m., and were already out and at 180.
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Four hours is certainly long. I'd feel very concerned if I waited 3 hours. One of these days I can do those with less concern. Maybe. :woohoo:
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Never had a problem holding 250 with the Egg or overnight cooks. I just got lost on the computer when I first lighted the Egg, I already had the meat to room temp. So I got the Egg cooled down and held 250 overnight. Just cooked too long for 6 pounds.
    But no I have pulled beef sandwhiches for dinner