Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Shoulder 19 hours??!!

Options
Craig
Craig Posts: 72
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi guys,

I did a pork shoulder yesterday. It was 8 pounds. I wanted to make pulled pork. I had a recipe that said to cook at around 220 until internal temp was 190. It took me 19 hours to get to 180 and then I just pulled it off because I couldn't wait any longer. That seems way too long. My meat thermometer and dome thermometer are working properly though. Has it ever taken one else this long?

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    yea each piece of meat is diffrent.. i have had butts go 10 hours and another butt in the same egg go 15 :blink:

but as long as you liked it then all is good

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    Was the 220* your dome temp or the grid temp?

Probably a little too low if it was your dome temp, as grid temp would have been close to 195-200* with that dome temp. It takes a long time to get the meat to 190 when your cooking temp is so close to your goal temp.

I have cooked several shoulders and I use a grid temp of 220* and my dome temp usually sits around 240-250*. It will be done at 180, but just won't pull as easily - I'll bet it tasted great!
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    yeah. at 220 that's about right.

there is no harm in starting at 250. and if you are in a rush, you can even bump it to 300 (just don't tell us.)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    Yes, that sounds right. My 12 pound brisket took 17 hours yesterday cooking 225-250.

It is a shame you had to pull it at 180. You were just leaving the plateau and the rest of the temp would have moved fairly quickly compared to what you had been through. My brisket ran up 10 degrees from 190 to 200 in about an hour or so.

Just plan your long cooks so you are not pressed for time and continue cooking to temp and not by time.

Enjoy.
  • Juicy
    Juicy Posts: 32
    Options
    I have the same problem. I set it for 250 and it still takes longer than expected. I've had to kick it up a few times, it still turns out great. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one. Just tell everyone, dinner is afternoon!
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    yep what Bente said. The meat thermometer tells you when it's finish not the clock.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options
    I have had Boston Butts take 21- 22 hours with a DigiQII controlling everything.

Gator
  • Craig
    Craig Posts: 72
    Options
    Thanks for the speedy responses! Yes, I had a dome temp of 220. The fact that the grid temp is lower (I hadn't thought of that) might explain things.

It came out great, but you guys made it seem that 190 is a better temp because it will pull better. I'll keep that in mind, and I look forward to trying it again. I just couldn't wait any longer. What was supposed to be an on-time lunch was becoming a late dinner, and I was done waiting.

Thanks again.
  • emt_24
    emt_24 Posts: 94
    Options
    did a 9.5lb one about a month ago that took 22hrs at 225F. yet another example of how each piece of meat is different.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i would think most end up with a final temp of 195/200/205, especially after resting it
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    250 will work just fine for a dome temp. That wil shave a few hours off.
    Or next time if you use 220 just foil and bump up the temp to about 280-300 the last hour or two. that will finish them up.
  • FSUScotsman
    FSUScotsman Posts: 754
    Options
    I was really glad that you asked this. Winn-Dixie here had shoulders on a really good sale and I picked up a several. I've never done a shoulder, only butts. I think you saved me some anxiety.