Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Contemplating an Egg...

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hey everyone... I've been lurking around for quite a while and decided to finally say hi. Anyways, i've been thinking about getting a kettle type gril or an egg. Currently i have 2 gas grills, and an offset-barrel type charcoal smoker/grill. I bought the charcoal grill a year or so ago and to be honest i really don't like it. It comes highly rated from alot of people on another forum, but for me, i find it messy, very fuel-innefficient, and i've gotten to the point where i don't feel like using it as most of the times i'm just cooking for my wife and I.

I still would like to get a charcoal grill. I'd like to keep one gas grill and then offset it with a smaller charcoal grill. Either a kettle type or an egg. I haven't decided which one, but am really leaning towards an egg. I think the egg would 'fit' my wife and i better than a large barrel cooker. I read about how everyone seems to love their egg, very few negatives about it. I've never seen one in action, so in september we are going to PA for an eggfest. I think that'll be a good way to learn more about the egg and try the food cooked on them.

What do you guys think?
What are your thoughts on buying a demo egg?
Do you leave your egg cooking unattended while your at work?

Allright, that's it. Sorry for the long post! thanks.

highpress

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    i very rarely leave my egg unattended!!

a demo egg is a great idea they come with the warranty and that is very important!!

one last ting is if you get a egg find a friend who might want your barrell smoker! so you can make room for more eggs!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• I did research for 2-1/2 years before I finally bought a large Egg. After I had it a week I decided I made a big mistake by not buying it when I started looking at them. I purchased a demo egg at the PA eggfest last Sept. The eggfest convinced my wife to allow me to purchase the egg. Don't forget something to take notes. Eggheads are a friendly and helpful bunch and you will get a lot of your questions answered there. Nothing like seeing an egg in action and tasting food cooked on the egg. Hope to see you in Sept at the eggfest.
  • TomM24
    TomM24 Posts: 1,366
    Get the EGG its way better than a Weber kettle. I had a kettle for 23 years and the egg for 1.5. When I cook on a kettle at my parents I am reminded how much better and easier it is to cook on. I've gone shopping a few times while cooking but never to work. If you want to gone for a long time get a DigiQ. I have one and love it.
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Where do you live???? we are in College Park, Md....and I can make your mind up for you in one or 2 cooks..If your local just let me know...We enjoy sharing the beauty of the BGE...
    PS...we own 5 eggs
  • An Egg fest would be a great place to learn about an egg, and you can get a good deal on one there. The only downside is that September is a ways away. I bought my egg having never seen one in action and love it.
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    The ease cooking on the egg one of the reasons I continue to push the egg to my friends.I have put 2 briskets on went to work,10 hrs later came home fixed a cocktail checked the temp ,it was within5 degrees of when I left.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • slane01
    slane01 Posts: 3
    Hello,

I am a newb to this forum, just joined today actually. Anyways, I have been looking at the Big Green Egg for about 8 years. Well, I finally went and purchased an XL on Monday. All I can say is WOW....I could have been eating like this 8 years ago.... boy was I stupid. The inaugaral cooking was some grilled buffalo wings. They turned out great, next was Chicken Breasts and Ribeyes....the high temp searing is awesome. The third day was 3 whole roaster chickens. Those chickens were some of the best I have ever had. The fourth day we did sausages and hotdogs, yesterday we did nice juicy burgers, and today is my first long smoke with some boneless pork butts.

The egg has simply produced some of the best food that I have eaten, has very precise temp control once your used to adjusting the dampers. I have been smoking at 220 today for 6 hours so far. I am guessing I have another 4 to 6 to finsish the butt roasts off. I also smoked some acorn squash with the butts...had the squash for lunch, it worked out great.

Now that I have the Xtra large, I can cleary see that I need a Large.

I have used several gassers, kettles, and water smokers over the years, and also have an offset smoker/pig roaster similar to the lang model 84 pig roasters (Home built version modeled after theres. This egg is flat out the best thing I have purchsed, albeit it is a bit pricy, but in my opinion worth every penny.

I guess you can probably figure I am a very eGGsited Newb to cooking on the Egg.

Go for it, you won't be sorry
  • Hitch
    Hitch Posts: 402
    Just try it...everyone's doing it. You're not cool unless you do it. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

WARNING!!!!!

DO NOT BUY AN EGG IF YOU HAVE ANY SORT OF SENTIMENTAL ATTACHMENT TO ANY OF YOUR CURRENT COOKERS/GRILLS.
  • PhotoPro
    PhotoPro Posts: 47
    Silly, you're asking the choir if they like to sing! Of course we do! You won't find a more versatile cooking apparatus than a BGE.
  • Aunt Crazy
    Aunt Crazy Posts: 378
    After about 10 years of eating all the fabulous food my daddy cooks on his, I finally bought a BGE. He had convinced me that I did not have time to cook on an egg--then I realized that he has never cooked any other way and has no idea how long it takes to put a meal together. I bought mine last July and have not used my oven since. I have sauteed a few veggies on the stove, but not much. I gave away my gas grill to the yard man after he helped my husband put my large BGE in the table my sweet daddy built me for Christmas.

BTW-there are just the two of us in the house, too.
  • Slane, I started out with an XL and bought a large shortly after. I use both a lot but I use the large more during the week. Today is the XL's turn today for 3 racks of baby backs and baked potatoes. :)
  • emt_24
    emt_24 Posts: 94
    Lemme tell ya.........I am as skeptical as they come. I thought about buying one for a long time but kept thinking they could not be as great as everyone made them out to be. I literally got sick at my stomach handing over the cash to buy my Large. That all went away after the first 2 or 3 cooks with the BGE. It is without a doubt one of the best purchases I ever made. Not even the competitors of the BGE could match their warranty or customer service. And yes, they are like tattoos, once you get the first, its hard to stop wanting more. :whistle:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Well, you have come to the right place...

If you are anywhere close to WessB, that is a great offer he is extending, I would take him up on it as soon as you two could work out the particulars.

The eggfest fest would be a great place to go and also pick up a demo. In a way I way which I could have taken advantage of an eggfest prices.

I did say "in a way". Don't get me wrong but Spetember is an egg fest would be a fantastic experience, the problem is, September is way too long to wait.

GG
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    LOL once you get it and get the hang of it you will kick yourself for waiting! Just like has been said on here so far. It is just my husband and I and we have 7 eggs LOL 4 here in Maine and 3 in Florida. my son has one and my folks have 4, 2 here in Maine and 2 in Fl. we have friends that had to have eggs after dinner with us a couple of times. they have two in Fl and two in Maine now. and other friends that had to get one just got a second one at the NH fest and they are taking one of them to FL with them. get the picture???? they are like rabbits or potatoe chips! you just can't have one!. We got a large first. worried it would not be big enough. wish we had gotten the med and small to start with. about the only time I really use the large is for a number of Butts low and slow. 90% of our cooks are on the mini. we had 10 for dinner the other night. make your own pizza night. we used the med and the mini. and we could not eat them as fast as they were coming off the egg after the first two were done. Sept is along ways away LOL Julie
  • WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Sorry in advance the following being so verbose, but it is a sign of my excitement I guess. I am a new egger and I am completely sold! My brother, Weekend Warrior, has been egging for several years and has been trying to convince me. He traveled from western PA to New Hampshire for an eggfest in Hampton Beach two weeks ago...since he was within four hours of us, he convinced us that this was the time for us to have an egg - personally delivered - and at a reduced "demo" price. We got a large and love it; we got the place setter and pizza stone straight off, and since, have ordered our spider and wok. I am totally convinced, and would encourage you to get one. I'm sure you won't be sorry; as for convincing words for your wife, I think she will love it - I have gotten more excited about cooking in recent days because there is just so much versatility with the egg.
  • DryFly
    DryFly Posts: 351
    Don't settle for something that's inferior. Get the EGG! You won't ever regret it. If you get the Weber kettle you will suffer from buyer's regret until the day your Egg is delivered and you've missed out on a lot of great food in the meantime.
  • rho1640
    rho1640 Posts: 118
    Mainegg wrote:
    We got a large first. worried it would not be big enough. wish we had gotten the med and small to start with. about the only time I really use the large is for a number of Butts low and slow. 90% of our cooks are on the mini. we had 10 for dinner the other night. make your own pizza night. we used the med and the mini. and we could not eat them as fast as they were coming off the egg after the first two were done. Sept is along ways away LOL Julie

Here I am with more questions ;) So maybe I want to get the Medium for my first egg - will a dutch oven fit in it and a cast iron fry pan and maybe muffin tins and a wok and maybe one butt at a time and ribs and chicken and turkeys and pizza and breads .... Of course all at different times :lol:

Then later on work on a mini for travel and using at home too.

99% of the time it is just the two of us but I want to be able to do lots on it....

about how much lump do you go thru if you use it 3 or 4 times a week (the medium that is)

oh edited to add - I will be able to get a spider and pizza stone and all the neat accessories for the med. too right??
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    How much did you want to learn...you got a lot of valuable replies...
  • Beernuts
    Beernuts Posts: 71
    kind of like asking about the Pope in Church . . .

we had a friend who had an oversees assignment and lent us his egg for a year -first cook I made hockey pucks instead of chicken, but after I learned, wow

after we returned the friends egg we made it about 3 weeks before we bought our own large (from the mothership in Lawrenceville) - we probably use it 3 or 4 times a week

I learned to cook on a gas grill and swore I would never have a charcoal grill becuase of the hassle - I am now a true member of the cult, and love it!
  • rho1640
    Wess - I'm not sure if you were replying to me - but I'm not the original poster if you thought I was.

I had originally planned on getting a large but after Mainegg's post I was questioning that decision because of what she said (and that's why I quoted the pertinent part of her reply)- so I asked specific questions that apply to the Medium egg to help me make my decision.

As to how much I want to learn - why everything of course ;) My idea of heaven would be a huge library with all the knowledge in the universe there - with comfy chairs, really good coffee, and time to read all the books :)

Now about how much I want to learn about the eggs - enough to make the best decision for us - I don't see that I will be a person who will have all the different sizes (famous last words I'm sure) so I want to be sure that the one I get will meet the majority of our needs. :) Her love of the mini made me think that it could be good for the future for trips so we wouldn't get egg withdrawal. :ohmy:

Hope that cleared up any confusion I may have caused :)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    you are in "flat view". wess wasn't replying to you.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • The large is the most popular and I believe the most versatile. I have a family of three (at home) and I couldn't imagine anything smaller than my large as my primary Egg. I also have an Xl that I use on bigger cooks mostly on the weekends. There are a lot of accessories to add to the large if you ever needed the space. I usually cook the entire meal on the Egg and the space of the large will accommodate that without cooking everything separate. I would recommend getting a little more space than you think you will need and you will grow into it. It is better to have the room and not need it than to need it and not have it. A lot of Eggers have both a large and a small combo of Eggs to cook at different temps at the same time. You will get to that later. :laugh:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Just read both of your posts.

There are just the two of us here most of the time. Once a month we have the kids & grand kids over and that's 26 right now. 2 more in a couple of months.

I started out with a large, then medium, then small then mini.

For the two of us and grilling type cooks I use the mini
    most of the time.

If I had it to do all over again, knowing what I know now. I would start out with a large, then mini then another large or maybe an X-Large.

I hardly ever use the small and use the medium once in a while.

If money between the medium and large is not a problem I would highly recommend the large.

In the large only, I can cook for the whole group or just the wife and I. Some of the accessories you asked about are only available for the large.

On the large I can cook a 24# turkey, variable levels of Dutch Oven cooking which the spider really comes in handy and I can cook for the whole gang.

I would not let lump usage be part of your buying decision (for any of the eggs).

For any given cook the large won't use enough more lump than the medium to make a difference worry about.

For me under normal circumstances and with out doing some tricks with the egg, the medium takes longer to light and get to temperature and also struggles to get to higher temperatures than the large does.

Over all the large is easier to use than the medium.

There are a lot of medium users that will differ with my thoughts. I have had them both for long enough now to know the differences.

The medium is a great egg, I just would rather have a large out of the two.

There will be a lot of different opinions on the different sized of eggs.

GG
  • rho1640
    thanks - it sounds like I am going back to my original choice of the large :)

stike I guess "flat view" is what I am in - I see all the posts at the same time - with all the info in each post. That is the type of forum I am used to and is why I quote or address the person I am replying to - snipping the quote to just what I am talking about. I didn't realize there was another way...

Sorry for the confusion
  • How many do you normally cook for?
  • rho1640
    Panhandle Smoker wrote:
    How many do you normally cook for?

There are just the 2 of us but I do normally cook larger amounts so we can have leftovers when I cook - so if I am making a stew or soup or roasts etc I do enough for 2 full meals and lunches -

I know I would like to do artisan breads and pizza - I do breads a few times a week and we have pizza once a week -- We use a wok quite a bit so I would love to use that - and I love experimenting with recipes and foods. And I have seen so many recipes on here I would love to try.
  • Especially because of you baking desires I would go with the Large. It is like the Large is made for a 16" pizza. The pizzas are so much better on the Egg than an oven. We have gone all out on the pizzas and doughs. We do the same thing. I may cook a couple of meals at a time because it is sometimes easier with our schedules to heat and eat. :) There are some reall neat accessories for the large. I like my large so much I am in the market for another one.
  • For the kind words of encouragement and the great info. I've pretty much decided on getting an egg. I'm still doing my research, reading as much as i can and trying to make sure this what i really want. I think waiting for september is a good thing for me to do. I just bought a weber genesis about 3 weeks ago (costs about the same as a large egg) for a large party we were having. I didn't feel comfortable using the barrel smoker for cooking for guests off and on all day long. The good news is i got it in GREEN! I'm actually really excited about going to the eggfest, i'm hoping that'll be a good way to convince wifey to get an egg. Trust me, she is not very happy on spending $700 on yet ANOTHER grill...we'll see! keep your fingers crossed! :woohoo:

WessB - Special thanks to you for the invite. We are actually fairly close to college park. We live near BWI. i commute to Gaithersburg daily. Perhaps when we get an egg i'll look you up for some cooking lessons!

highpress
  • slane01
    slane01 Posts: 3
    Panhandle Smoker wrote:
    Slane, I started out with an XL and bought a large shortly after. I use both a lot but I use the large more during the week. Today is the XL's turn today for 3 racks of baby backs and baked potatoes. :)

I think I will use the large quite a bit too, once I get it. However, I bought the XL, becuase I have 6 kids...that makes 8 in the family. I need the XL to basically feed everyone LOL...With a few teenage boys, they can sure eat.

I absolutely love this Egg...The pork butts I did tongiht were awesome. I gave one of them to my neighbor. The wife was excited as she loves that type of meat. The husband on the other wasn't too excited as he doesn't like Pork, except for bacon.

Well about 40 minutes after I dropped off the butt roast, I got a call from my neighbor thanking me for the roast.....and she said her husband would not stop eating....just kept saying this isn't pork, this is just damn good.

I can't wait for my spare ribs tommorrow :-)
  • rho1640
    Eddie - thanks - I measured the baking stone I use now and it is something like 13 x 18 so the large will be about the same size so I won't have to re-figure things too much from what I do in the oven inside --

and GG thanks for that info too - it is looking like it will be the large - then maybe sometime I will go for the mini (no way I could spring both on hubster at the same time lol) I have read everyone using the accessories and I see that there are a bunch I will be needing right away :P