Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Doctoring store bought bbq sauce

Options
big hound
big hound Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've either made my own sauce or bought what I would consider premium sauces like Big Bob Gibson, or Gates, or Bone Suckin' Sauce. The BBQ joint next door to my business makes his own sauce but he begins with a base of either Chris & Pitts or Kraft then doctors it up. I've never doctored sauces up before and have no idea where to start. Any ideas on how to doctor up comercial sauces to make them a good sauce?

Comments

• Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options
    Hi big hound,

Personally I would think it would be easier and probably taste better to start from scratch. BBQ sauces are pretty simple critters and you can find recipes all over the web as well as right here on this forum. The recipe section lists numerous sauces all of which can be doctored any way you wish.
    I haven't had a chance to try them yet but from what I see around here on the forum is that Carnivore BBQ Sauces are as good as they get and need no doctoring. Before I try cooking any ribs I want some of his Sweet sauce on hand, I hear it is #1.

Good luck, sauces are a lot of fun. I am playing with rubs at the moment. Some day I will get around to sauces. I have made them in the past with an 8 oz. can of tomato sauce, brown sugar and/or molasses and/or honey and/or maple syrup to taste, a little salt and pepper, diced onion if you wish, garlic, a little basil, oregano and thyme. Hot sauce or peppers if that is your thing and your good to go. Slowly simmer in a sauce pan to cook and meld all your flavors. You can get as creative as you dare with sauces, it's not rocket science and the cost of failures isn't going to break the bank. Want to add vinegar or mustard, go for it. Keep notes in case you come up with something worth remembering (and sharing with us on the forum, LOL).

Gator
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    I'm with gator. if your going to Dr then do from scratch. I do just so I know what is really in there. keep notes for every little tweak and pinch cause you will never remember what you did LOL post it notes are our friend till you get what you like then go from there. I did one about 20 years ago using pineapple jc as a major part of the liquid for a pork rib dinner I did for friends. I have never been able to come close. And Bigun's is the only one I don't play with good out of the jar.
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    WE have tried many different store-bought sauces, in fact bought my first bottle of Big Bob Gibson's Red Sauce (SP?) this week, but we always come back to the Carnivore sauces as said above. We love the "Sweet" version!
  • BConk
    BConk Posts: 72
    Options
    I mix KC Masterpiece with Tabasco Chipotle sauce 70/30 for chicken. I love it!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Sometimes I will mix commercial sauces - I like to mix Arthur Bryants with a little sweet sauce like Sweet Baby Ray or KC Masterpiece.

Sometimes I will add a little honey, sometimes a lot.

Some thicker sauces I like to cut with Dr. Pepper or Coke to thin them a little.

Sometimes when I want a bit more peppery bite I will add cayenne or ancho powders.

Just use your imagination and go with it.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    Here is a good doctored pulled pork sauce me and a friend came up with:

1 large onion diced fine
    3 tablespoons minced garlic
    1 16 oz can diced tomatoes
    1 tablespoon crushed red pepper
    3 tablespoon cayan pepper ?
    1 cup apple cider vinegar
    3 cups BBQ sauce
    Heat Green Egg to 250
    Combine onion, garlic, pepper with some oil simmer ½ hour
    Add cider vinegar and BBQ sauce
    Simmer additional ½ hour
    Pour over pulled pork
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    I like to add a bit of burgandy wine, or worstershire sauce, or vinegar, or all. :lol: I also add garlic and onions,ginger.
  • big hound
    big hound Posts: 103
    Options
    I'm looking forward to tryin your sauce soon. read great things about it. I usually make my own but these 100+ degrees in LA make for lazy cookin'