Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Short Ribs Anyone?

PhotoPro
PhotoPro Posts: 47
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm thinking about cooking some short ribs. I think I incinerated some on a gasser about 30 years ago, and haven't touched them since. Any ideas or suggestions what to do with them?

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    here is the recepie i followed last time i did them

Beef, Ribs, Short, Pharmeggist

Beantown Egger,Hey I slow cooked 6 pounds beef short ribs this weekend. I made my own marinade this weekend and soaked them in it overnight.

INGREDIENTS:
    6 Lbs Beef, Short Ribs
    3 Tbs lemon juice
    1/4 cup red wine vinegar
    1/4 cup olive oil
    3 Tbs honey
    1 tsp cayenne pepper (red pepper)
    1 tsp ground black pepper

Procedure:
    1 I cooked them indirectly using my plate setter legs up with grill grate on top and aluminum pan underneath to catch juices. THe temp I stablesized the BGE was at 250 degrees. I used my Rib rack and put them in it with the bone down. P.S. I trimmed the excess fat off the ribs and pulled the membrane of the bones with a knife after the marinade process was complete. I used Bad Byrons "Butt Rub" on them too before placing them in the grill. I cooked indirect 250 degrees for 3.5 hours uncovered and cooked 1.5 hours wrapped in foil. They were awesome!! I used Johnny Harris BBQ Sauce and Cattlemens Mustard BBQ sauce after cook adding it last and foiling them on the counter for about 20 minutes. Good luck!

Recipe Type
    Beef, Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Source: BGE Forum, Pharmeggist, 12/03/06

HTH

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    When I first got my eggs I tried beef ribs and I hated them - I made a lot of mistakes.

About 2 years later I did them again. I wasn't expecting much so I didn't put a lot of effort in to the cook. They turned out fantastic.

I found the meatiest ribs I could get. Seasoned them and put them on the egg at 250°. It was a pretty long cook. I watched for the meat pull back on the bone and then I cut pieces off and tasted. I pulled it when I liked it done.

The cook was so good I did it again a week or so later. That time I used a tooth pick to find tenderness and also watched the meat pull back on the bone.

Great cooks, both.

beefrib3done.jpg

beefrib1.jpg

beefrib2.jpg

GG
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I like to take them and season with char sui seasoning for oriental flavor. 250F indirect for 4-5 hours. Usually have them cut into thirds for ease of eating.Spritz after 2 hours every 30 minutes and turn as needed. Korean mongolian apple pear sauce is great at the end.

This batch was cut after the cook.

BEEFSHORTRIBSCHARSUI2296.jpg

This baatch was cut first and at the end used General Tso sauce.

RIBSDONE.jpg
  • big hound
    big hound Posts: 103
    I did some last week, whole short ribs, must have been a foot long each. Gave them a rub, then Indirect at 250 for 10 hours! They were awsome, best I've ever had. Sounds like a long smoke but the results speak for themselves.