Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

high heat gasket

JimS
JimS Posts: 78
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ok I have the new high heat gasket. Need to know if the gasket needs to be glued on and if so what kind of glue should I use. Also any special precautions i should take. Thanks

Comments

• If it is a Nomex gasket put it in the clothes drier for 15-20 minutes on high heat to pre shrink the gasket. Then use 3M super 77 spray glue to attach the gasket to the Egg.
  • Dostana
    Dostana Posts: 20
    Jim,

I used 77M glue, sprayed it in a cup and then used a paint brush from a hobby store to apply glue to both the Nomex and rim of BGE. I only put the Nomex on the bottom part of BGE and did not put any gasket on the lid. Make sure you have the disposable rubber gloves when working with 77M Glue. Once installed, I let the BGE sit for 24hrs without using it. I learnt about how to install this during my discussion with one of the BGE experts at the Bay Area Eggfest. He recommended put the Nomex only on the bottom part.

The installation process was very easy. So far the Nomex is holding out pretty good.

Hope that helps.

Dostana (making 4lb pork butt today for pulled pork soft tacos for dinner today, so far Butt is sitting nicely at 165)
  • JimS
    I bought this one at BGE place. Is it same as nomex?
    Why do you shrink it?
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,505
    hey Dostana, did you get the tandoor procedure figured out?
    -Gary
    canuckland
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    hey jim changing a gasket is easy!!

just make sure you get as much of the old glue off as you can all that will not wipe off with alcohol hit it with a mapp torch!!

also 4 wire ties will help you out

crackedeggfirday005.jpg

here is where you use the wire ties

crackedeggfirday008.jpg

make sure to overlap the ends a little bit

crackedeggfirday006.jpg

also don't spend much time taping off your egg i never did i just sprayed a little and rolled the gasket on i used a can of beans to push the gasket down.. the 3m super77 is really easy to use and any overspray will go away... and from what i read it is just silicone so there should be no harm to your food... keep the lid closed for 24 hours before firing it up...

good luck!!

the nomex is great

crackedeggfirday009.jpg

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• If you don't it will shrink on the Egg giving you about a 1/4 inch gap where the gaskets meet. I pre shrunk the gasket on my Xl and it shrank up 1.5", I did not on the large and there is a big gap where the gaskets meet. I use the gasket on both top and bottom.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=635933&catid=1#

http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/category_s/474.htm
  • Canugghead
    Eddie, do you still need to overlap at the joint if the nomex is preshrunk? Thanks.
    canuckland
  • I did just in case it shrank some more after cooking a few times. It didn't seem to shrink any more but it is easy enough to come back later and cut that off.
  • Dostana
    Hi Gary,

This is what I have tried regarding Tandoor.

I load the BGE and then on top of the charcoal I put a mesh tray with Ceramic briquettes. Then I take the daisy wheel off and try to get the dome temp to 450-500.
    Then I put the boneless chicken thigh's marinated in tandoori marinate on a skewer (the skewer's are 1/2inch thick) and lower them from the top where the daisy wheel sits and let the bottom of the skewers touch the briquettes. The bottom part of the skewer does get very hot thats why i use 1/2inch thick skewers. The ceramic briquettes help control flareups from tandoori marinate dripping on the coals.
    I cover the top of the lid opening with a rock wrapped in double layer of Aluminium foil.

I cook it for 15-20 mins, also when i put the chicken on the skewers, I leave about 8-10 inch distance from the bottom edge of the skewer (the edge that is touching the ceramic briquettes), so that the bottom pieces don't get charred.

I have used this process twice now and continue to figure out in improvising. Hope it helps.

Dostana
  • Canugghead
    Dostana, sound very interesting. Your skewers must be specialsed, are they half inch diameter SS rod? must be long if you have 8-10" to spare at the bottom. Is there a special notch to prevent the chicken from sliding down? How many skewers do you insert at a time and how many chicken thighs on each skewer? What kind of wire mesh that won't melt in such intense heat? sorry for so many questions but I want to learn. Thanks. (perhaps it's time for TJV to come up with special Tandoori rig!)
    -Gary
    canuckland
  • JimS
    What are the wire ties for Bente? Did you shrink your gasket before putting it on?
  • He used the wire ties to keep the bands in the closed dome position. That will make it much easier to replace the dome. If you still have the white plastic retainers that came with the Egg you can use those instead of the wire ties. If your dealer put your Egg together he probably tossed the plastic pieces. It does look like he left a little over lap as well.
  • Dostana
    Gary,

They are 1/2 inch square, I bought them at a persian grocery store. They are about 36 inch long.
    There is no special notch, the way i skewer the chicken thighs prevents them from sliding down, plus its a square skewer.
    I usually put 3 chicken thighs per skewer, and put 3-4 skewers at one time.

I bought weber ceramic briquette holders that they have designed for weber kettle grills for holding the ceramic briquettes.

Hope that helps.

Dostana
  • Did you look at the links in my earlier post it gives you the reasin to pre shrink the gasket. There is also a how to video which may be helpful to you.
  • BENTE
    i used the wire ties to keep the bands in the closed position it is very hard to put them on with the bands in the open position.... trust me!!

i did not preshrink the gasket that suggestion was not avalible when i replaced my nomex.. i have had a couple nomex's i did some testing for bge and we never came up with the preshrink idea!! but as long as you take your time it is a rather easy project just remember to not light the egg for 24 hours to let the glue dry up and cure to keep a good seal!!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• JimS
    thanks for you help. I have had the large for 10 years and replaced probably 12 of the regular gaskets but didn't want to foul up this one. Been cooking without one for last year and half. Done fine but smoked a lot but temp control was still perfect.
  • JimS
    thanks for your help. will takle the problem tomorrow
  • BENTE
    let me know if i can do anything else to help i wish i had a better picture of the wire ties but i don't :(

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• All of your other pics are great.
  • BENTE
    thanks!!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Canugghead
    Dostana,

Thanks for sharing but more questions if you don't mind. I would have never thought of Persian store, do they have a special name for it? Is there a big difference in doneness between the top and bottom pieces? Isn't it tricky to insert skewer through that hole with intense heat shooting out?

I was also wondering if this would work: build a ring with 'legs' such that it stays near the centre high in the dome (think lamp shade), then hang skewered chicken from the ring over the fire. Your thoughts?

-Gary
    canuckland
  • Dostana
    Gary,

In Bay Area, CA we have number of stores that provide accessories for a tandoor, this persian store was one of them. I know there are some places that sell the skewers online too. There is no difference in doneness as the skewer gets pretty hot and helps in cooking the meat also. I use thermapen to test whether the meat is done.

Its not tricky to insert the skewer, just used good insulated gloves.
    I love your idea about the ring, definetly a good idea, wish we can have someone build it.

Dostana
  • Canugghead
    Dostana,
    I visited a large local (Toronto) Persian supermarket today. Their skewers are only 24 inches long and flat with varying widths up to 1/2", but not 1/2"x 1/2" square in cross-section like yours. Will keep looking.
    -Gary
    canuckland