Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL pizza setup

Options
Fire Walker
Fire Walker Posts: 241
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have trashed two gaskets in to weeks on my XL. What is the ultimate pizza setup? I have a platesetter,GS hanger and a 12 inch pizza stone. Last week when the egg got around 500 degrees the bands loosened a bit creating a gap in the rear resulting in blown gasket. Last night with new gasket, plate setter on top of fire ring feet up, 4 fire brick 1/4s supporting the pizza stone egg got around 500 first pizza went ok, second pizza with egg still at 500 took pizza off everything ok 5minutes passed opened dome, gasket fussed and burnt. I have a new Nomex gasket on the way but this shouldn't have happened. What am I missing?
FireWalker

Comments

• Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    When cooking pizza on my XL I use the plate setter legs up and then put the grid down and the stone on top of an elevated grid. I have the older model plate setter with the short legs. I found that it needed more heat between the plate setter and the stone. The extended grid worked out great. If you dont have an extended grid just find something to raise the stone up a little. If you have the new model plate setter just put the plate setter in legs up and the grid on the platesetter and then put the stone on the grid. I usually cook pizzas between 450-500. Enjoy the pie.
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    I cook my pizzas real similer to Eddie,I went through 2 gaskets and now I don't even bother and everything cooks great.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    I have the Nomex gaskets and they hold up great compaired to the felt. I have held 750 for over an hour and no problems.