Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Product review of the RIG please.

zipur74
zipur74 Posts: 48
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Looking for toys and I see a bunch of post for the Adjustable Rig. I really want a grat extender for the times when the large it just not enough. Plus I've been charing my chicken a bit too much.

Is this thing really built well?
Does it expand your capacity more the just a gill lifter?
Is it easy to use remove.
Can you get six slabs on you grill with it?
Do you have to buy the spider to go with it?

Comments

• zipur74
    zipur74 Posts: 48
    sorry missed the post just before me about the same topic

disregard.
  • The answer to your questions. If you have any questions Tom is a nice guy and will be very helpful.
    http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/ceramicgrillstore/
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Yes to all except the last one - the spider is separate and not necessary, but is nice to have.
  • BigGreenDawg
    BigGreenDawg Posts: 327
    Listen I only recieved mine yesterday but have already used it twice so yeah I like mine allot especially since I do many raised indirect cooks. Chicken is coming out wonderfully with the baking stone on the spider and a drip pan on top of it. It is very well made out of SSteel and goes in and out easier than the grill grate since you just pick it up with your hands and pull it straight out; do not try to pull the spider, stone and rig out all at once though. I tried to carry mine outside from opening the new box and dropped the spider and stone on the kitchen floor, luckily no damage was done as I have linoleum :pinch:
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    You will NOT be charing your chicken any longer. For the first time in my life I can cook BBQ chicken like a pro.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    I can not tell you about using it as mine only came yesterday. but it looks great in the egg and is very well made and sturdy. I watched Weekend warrior use his in NH and that was when I decided that I had waited long enough. I did the order online and received a conformation at once and it was all shipped quite quickly and well packed. I got 2 mini woos, a med woo and the adjustable rig and spider and drip pan. I can't wait to give it a spin!
  • I would say that other than the plate setter the rig is the most used accessory for the egg. I've used it to get a little more altitude on my directs and for multi layer cooks (3 spatchcock chickens) and for cooking multiple pizzas. You will need the spider in order to do indirect with the rig. His indirect stone would also make a great pizza stone!
  • fieroguy
    fieroguy Posts: 777
    The Adj. Rig is very well made and Tom is great to do business with. I use the Rig on at least 80% of my cooks. I usually use an extender with the Rig, expanding it's capabilities.

I use the spider w/pizza stone for indirect (less mass to heat up than the platesetter).

As previously stated, it is very easy to install/remove from the Egg.