Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Butt Cook

Options
JCinGA
JCinGA Posts: 139
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I ran out of freezer space yesterday and had to remove three butts of different weights; 5, 7, and 9 lbs.
My questions are:
If I start them at the same time will I have to pull them at the same time or do I take them off as each one reachs its doneness temp?
Do I need to put a temp probe in each one or move the probe to the next larger butt after the first one comes off?
Thanks,
Jim
JCinGA

Comments

• civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    They are done when they are done. Might be different times (probably) and might be all at once. I would place thermometer in smallest one until 195 then pull and check other temps. The probably will finish according to size but you never know...butts can be finicky. Good Luck!
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Start them together - you never know how any particular butt will cook. Depending on fat content and general composition of the meat, the 7 pounder could take considerably longer than the 9 pounder to cook - in theory anyway.

You will need to pull each one as they get done, but remember - you can take that 5 pounder to 200 or even 205*, and pull the others around 195*. Pull the meat and mix it all up and it will all be good. They don't all need to be pulled at exactly the same internal temp. This margin gives you a pretty large window of time to finish them all close together.

Add to that any potential safe holding time and you should easily be able to get them all done and pulled at the same time without any major concerns.