Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Leg O Lamb

Options
alfie
alfie Posts: 8
edited November -1 in Off Topic
Afternoon, all. I need advice on cooking a boned leg of lamb, direct or indirect cooking,and any interesting recipes for same

Comments

• Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    Options
    The following recipe is posted in the Cookbook section of this Forum. I have cooked this several times with consistent excellent results.
    Bon Appetit !
    ===============
    Description:
    I got this recipe from a New Zealand friend, cooked it on the BGE and my wife, who doesn`t like lamb, couldn`t get enough. Later, cooked two legs for a 9 person dinner party. Great reviews. Will share it here for other Eggers.

Ingredients: 3-4 Lb Boneless Leg of Lamb (Sam`s has great ones)
    Irish Butter (kinda pricey)
    Sea salt
    ground pepper
    Dried marjoram
    Dried Thyme
    Dried oregano
    Dried rosemary (optional)
    Fresh garlic cloves (halved)
    Applewood smoked bacon (2 slices per leg)
    Fresh stalks of Rosemary

Instructions:
    Prepping the lamb:
    Remove the netting, open up the lamb and meticulously remove almost all fat from all surfaces.
    Soften about 4 Tablespoons of butter. Mix with equal portions of herbs (may leave out rosemary since you will be cooking on it in the grill). Liberally cover the entire leg with the herb paste including a crevasses. Make small slits all over the lamb and insert garlic halves. Cover with salt and pepper.
    Wrap in plastic wrap and place in refrigerator foe several hours to overnight.

Cooking day:
    Prepare the BGE for an indirect cook, place lamb in V-rack on a bed of rosemary branches over a drip pan. Place bacon strips on top of lamb and cover with more rosemary branches. Maintain grill at 350 degrees and cook to an internal temp of 135.
    Remove from grill and let rest under foil for 20 minutes.
    Slice and be prepared for the onslaught of compliments!

Notes:
    For a true Kiwi meal, serve with herb-roasted new potatoes and Fresh (or frozen) English peas with fresh basil and feta cheese added just before serving.
    Dessert was peach halves drizzled with honey, caramelized on the BGE and served with a dollop of Mascarpone cheese.

Number Of Servings: 6 Source:
    Vegetarian: No Time To Prepare: Didn`t measure
    Date: Mon 05 Jan 2009 23:17:04 EST Viewed: 596 times
    Author: Misippi Egger (Clark Ethridge) Email:
    Rating: 5,00 (1 votes)
  • alfie
    alfie Posts: 8
    Options
    My thanks to you for your prompt help,Will let you know how it works for me........Alfie
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    alfie, Misippi Egger's post is a good reicpe, however, repost this over on the egghead forum (the main forum page) rather in this OT forum.

You will most likely get more replies.

GG