Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nature Boy - Rubs and or Spices - Spare Ribs ?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Chris,[p]I am planning to cook 11 pounds of pork spare ribs on the BGE soon.[p]My intent is to smother them in Frenches plain mustard and shake a rub of some sort over the mustard.[p]The choices I have are:[p]Dizzy Dust Regular
Cow Lick
Raging River
Tsunami Spin[p]Your suggestions as to which to use would be appreciated.[p]Thank you.[p]KL

Comments

• Rich G
    Rich G Posts: 103
    Options
    KL,[p]I'm not Nature Boy, and I don't even play him on TV (nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night), but.....[p]Any of those will do just fine on your ribs. How many slabs do you have (at 11 lbs, I'm guessing 3 or 4?) You could do one of each. Honestly, all of those rubs do just fine on pork. In fact, a couple weeks ago, I had two slabs to cook and I had a little bit of Dizzy Dust, Tsunami Spin, and Raging River left. I mixed 'em all together and rubbed them on the ribs. YUM![p]:)[p]Rich G.
  • KL,
    I did ribs last night with DD regular. Fridged the leftovers overnight and brought them into work after I reheated them in the oven. Getting great reviews from my coworkers but as mentioned before, I doubt that you can go wrong with any of them.[p]Matt.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    KL,
    My favorites on ribs are Dizzy Dust and Raging River. Never tried Tsunami ribs, beacause I have not liked it much on pork for some reason....but I have heard good reports from others. Cow Lick would probably work if you added some sugar, though I have not usd that on ribs yet. I expect it would work well though if you want nice peppery ribs.[p]Thanks for speaking up Rich and Matt. Your tastebuds and preferences are just as relevant as mine. It is incredible how much folks' tastes can vary.[p]Friday beverages to yall.
    Chris[p]

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Rich G and South O,[p]I appreciate your comments relative to my rib rub question. I think this forum is just great.[p]Again - thank you.[p]KL[p]
  • Nature Boy,[p]Thank you, Chris.[p]KL
  • willmw
    Options
    KL,
    I put the rub on the ribs...then cover with mustard.[p]Your mileage may vary...

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    KL,
    My favorite for ribs is Dizzy Dust coarse. I think your regular grind of DD will work fine, just be sure that you get plenty to cover the mustard completely.

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    KL,
    i was experimenting one night and did a rack smothered in raging river rub and, believe it or not, apple butter. . .wrapped em up and let them soak it in overnight. .. it was real good (not spicey at mind you), but the meat was real tender, they had wonderful color, and the combination seemed to work real well. . .[p]i've also done tsunami spin and enjoyed that too. ..