Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Coffee-Cardamom Beef Ribs

Options
FearlessGrill
FearlessGrill Posts: 695
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Here's another attempt at beef ribs, and I think these are the best ones I've done yet in terms of the meat itself. I also really liked the rub, which gave these a really unique flavor. A full writeup on this cook is posted on our blog at http://www.fearlesskitchen.com/2009/07/recipe-coffee-cardamom-beef-ribs-guest-post-from-fearless-grill.html

6a00e5502e1c018834011570dfadd0970c-800wi

I have had good luck with coffee-based rubs in the past, and when I picked up some beef ribs the other day, I decided to try this on ribs. I poked around a bit, and found this wet rub in one of Steven Raichlen's books, Barbeque Sauces, Rubs, and Marinades. I was originally going to serve this with a coffee-based BBQ sauce, but after sneaking a sample of the meat during the cook, I decided the flavoring just from the rub was good enough on its own, and we ate them 'dry'.

To make the rub, I mixed coffee, kosher salt, brown sugar, paprika, cardamom, ground ginger, garlic powder, and chili powder. I then made this into a paste by mixing it into some olive oil, and added some chopped fresh garlic. I rubbed this onto both sides of the ribs, and let them sit while getting the Egg up to temperature. I applied some of the dry rub over the wet to increase the bark on the outside, and put them in the smoker with some hickory chunks. I also put about 3 cups of coffee in my drip pan to give a bit more coffee flavor and to keep them moist, since my last beef ribs dried out a bit. I smoked them for about 7 hours at 250 degrees dome temp.

Enjoy!

-John

Comments