Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

crack in firebox

glennglenn Posts: 151
edited 6:20PM in EggHead Forum
Oh noooo!
I opend my egg this evening to put on some wings
and notice a big ole crack in the firebox
(the inner linner in the bottom of the egg)
is this something that happens often?? my egg is only 3 weeks old
please tell me it isnt gonna die.
It is the large BGE and I have babied it so I dont understand how this could happen.
The crack is all the way thru and up one side passing just beside but not thru a vent hole.
Does any one know What the replacement policy is for such a thing
hope I dont have to do without..for too long
THanx Glenn

·

Comments

• TRexTRex Posts: 2,708
    Glenn,[p]It's very common. It's covered by warranty. It's also no problem - I and several others' (meaning like probably over 20 people) have been cooking with cracked fireboxes for a long time with no problems at all. Essentially, you now just have an expansion joint in your firebox.[p]Welcome to the club![p]TRex
    ·
  • Glenn,
    It's not a problem as long as it doesn't crumble to dust, which they don't seem to do. Here is a link to my FAQ on the subject:[p]TNW

[ul][li]Cracked Firebox FAQ[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
    ·
  • DrivrDrivr Posts: 163
    Glenn,[p]Welcome to the club. Probably as many people here have cracked fire boxes as those who dont. It doesnt make a bit of difference in how the egg cooks and is covered under warranty. Mine has been cracked for about a 1 1/2 years and I dont have any probems with it low 'n slow or at nuke temps.
    Jason

·
  • glennglenn Posts: 151
    TRex,
    Thank you all for the responce I was realy afraid that the crack was going to be fatal to my egg.
    So I will see if my dealer will get me a new one and just keep eggin till it gets here thanks again
    Glenn

·
  • Glenn, My fire box is in two pieces; the fault line runs around what seems fo be the natural point of stress, around the vent holes. It's been this way for quite a while and perfoms well. Don't worry about it it

·
  • EarlEarl Posts: 468
    Glenn,
    When you get a replacement from the dealer, do not install it , ( that is if they don't need your old one back ) just keep it till the one you have now falls apart. This while be sometime from now i am sure. So like i said store it away or just use the old one untill it's gone & then ask for one then.[p]Earl

·
  • GretlGretl Posts: 670
    Glenn,
    I have a replacement for my cracked-all-the-way-through firebox, but it's been about 3 years now and I've never needed to install the replacement. I guess when/if the firebox crumbles away to nothing...but that's not likely to happen.
    Cheers,
    G.

·