Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

crack in firebox

Options
glenn
glenn Posts: 151
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Oh noooo!
I opend my egg this evening to put on some wings
and notice a big ole crack in the firebox
(the inner linner in the bottom of the egg)
is this something that happens often?? my egg is only 3 weeks old
please tell me it isnt gonna die.
It is the large BGE and I have babied it so I dont understand how this could happen.
The crack is all the way thru and up one side passing just beside but not thru a vent hole.
Does any one know What the replacement policy is for such a thing
hope I dont have to do without..for too long
THanx Glenn

Comments

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Glenn,[p]It's very common. It's covered by warranty. It's also no problem - I and several others' (meaning like probably over 20 people) have been cooking with cracked fireboxes for a long time with no problems at all. Essentially, you now just have an expansion joint in your firebox.[p]Welcome to the club![p]TRex
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Glenn,
    It's not a problem as long as it doesn't crumble to dust, which they don't seem to do. Here is a link to my FAQ on the subject:[p]TNW

[ul][li]Cracked Firebox FAQ[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • Drivr
    Drivr Posts: 163
    Options
    Glenn,[p]Welcome to the club. Probably as many people here have cracked fire boxes as those who dont. It doesnt make a bit of difference in how the egg cooks and is covered under warranty. Mine has been cracked for about a 1 1/2 years and I dont have any probems with it low 'n slow or at nuke temps.
    Jason

• glenn
    glenn Posts: 151
    Options
    TRex,
    Thank you all for the responce I was realy afraid that the crack was going to be fatal to my egg.
    So I will see if my dealer will get me a new one and just keep eggin till it gets here thanks again
    Glenn

• Fairalbion
    Options
    Glenn, My fire box is in two pieces; the fault line runs around what seems fo be the natural point of stress, around the vent holes. It's been this way for quite a while and perfoms well. Don't worry about it it

--
    Andrew (BGE owner since 2002)
  • Earl
    Earl Posts: 468
    Options
    Glenn,
    When you get a replacement from the dealer, do not install it , ( that is if they don't need your old one back ) just keep it till the one you have now falls apart. This while be sometime from now i am sure. So like i said store it away or just use the old one untill it's gone & then ask for one then.[p]Earl

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Glenn,
    I have a replacement for my cracked-all-the-way-through firebox, but it's been about 3 years now and I've never needed to install the replacement. I guess when/if the firebox crumbles away to nothing...but that's not likely to happen.
    Cheers,
    G.