Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ham or bologna salad??

Rick in Crystal Lake
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
This may not be directly related to cooking on the Egg but I am looking for a recipe. My father in law recently moved in with us. His wife passed away abot 1 1/2 years ago and he has not coped with it very well. Finally, we convinced him to come live with us so we could keep an eye on him and care for him. Anyway, today, out of the blue, he asked me to go to the store and pick up a 1 lb. balogna and grind it up and make ham salad. I must have had this strange look on my face, then he said, don't you have a grinder? Well I do have a grinder but what we are missing is the recipe. I think he was suprised when I told him I never heard of balogna salad. He is 87 years and his late wife made this for him on occasion.
So, does anyone have a recipe that they would like to share for either ham or bologna salad? I sure would appreciate any help or suggestions.
Thanks in advance and God Bless.

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Be creative.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,bologna_salad,FF.html

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=634163&catid=1

Salad, Ham, City, Alton Brown

INGREDIENTS:
    1 city style (brined) ham, hock end*
    1/4 cup brown mustard
    2 cups dark brown sugar
    1 Oz Bourbon (poured into a spritz bottle)
    2 cups crushed ginger snap cookies

Procedure:
    1 Heat oven to 250 degrees F.
    2 Remove ham from bag, rinse and drain thoroughly. Place ham, cut side down, in a roasting pan. Using a small paring knife or clean utility knife set to the smallest blade setting, score the ham from bottom to top, spiraling clockwise as you cut. (If you're using a paring knife, be careful to only cut through the skin and first few layers of fat). Rotate the ham after each cut so that the scores are no more than 2-inches across. Once you've made it all the way around, move the knife to the other hand and repeat, spiraling counter clockwise. The aim is to create a diamond pattern all over the ham. (Don't worry too much about precision here.)
    3 Tent the ham with heavy duty foil, insert a thermometer, and cook for 3 to 4 hours or until the internal temperature at the deepest part of the meat registers 130 degrees F.
    4 Remove and use tongs to pull away the diamonds of skin and any sheets of fat that come off with them.
    5 Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
    6 Dab dry with paper towels, then brush on a liberal coat of mustard, using either a basting brush or a clean paint brush (clean as in never-touched paint). Sprinkle on brown sugar, packing loosely as you go until the ham is coated. Spritz this layer lightly with bourbon, then loosely pack on as much of the crushed cookies as you can.
    7 Insert the thermometer (don't use the old hole) and return to the oven (uncovered). Cook until interior temperature reaches 140 degrees F, approximately 1 hour.
    8 Let the roast rest for 1/2 hour before carving.
    9 *Cook's note: A city ham is basically any brined ham that's packed in a plastic bag, held in a refrigerated case and marked "ready to cook", "partially cooked" or "ready to serve". Better city hams are also labeled "ham in natural juices".

Yield: 10 to 15 portions
    Preparation time: 15 minutes

Recipe Type
    Salad

Recipe Source
    Source: Food Network, Alton Brown, 2008/12/20
  • Mom used to make it for us like this.

Bologna, cheddar cheese, sweet pickles all ground together then mix in some mayo or Miracle Whip. My Dad liked his with horseradish mixed in.

Haven't had that in many years.

--Dave
  • Thanks so much for all your input. I get the feeling that bologna salad is a dish from days when times were tough (maybe like what is yet to come). I appreciate all the info. I'll give it a try.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    My old Aunt makes that crap.It's like tuna salad but with baloney.The first time I had it was on a sandwich and was'nt too bad.The next time I tried it :sick: I thought OMG this stuff would make a buzzard puke!Found out the first time the baloney was cooked,ie.fried in a skillet before grinding.The second was baloney straight from the grocer.Whatever you do if you're gonna eat it,smoke or fry it first!!!
  • Hoss, Thanks for the heads up. I can't stand tuna salad but I have to give the bologna salad a try for my father in laws sake. I will smoke it onthe Egg first.
    Thanks again.
  • rho1640
    rho1640 Posts: 118
    I've never done bologna salad but I do a salad/spread from Spam - my parents always made it --- grind the Spam, sweet pickles, some onion and celery add some mayo and a tiny bit of yellow mustard - mix up and put in fridge for at least an hour

I bet it would work for the Bologna too..