Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

picking up a whole beef tenderloin tomorrow,,, should i...

Options
smokeypete
smokeypete Posts: 63
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
cook it as steaks or whole? i want to rub it but can't come to a conclusion as to whether to cook it in pieces or whole. any suggestions? having guests for dinner on friday...how much time should it marinate with rub? this will be my first beef cook, am a bit apprehensive.

Comments

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    smokeypete,
    No slight intended, but dang! A whole tenderloin? The only bad thing you could do is drop it on the ground and the dogs drag it off behind the shed or something! That's a week's wages worth of bossy where I come from, so cook it whole, cook it in steaks, but please:
    - cook quickly over high heat with a quality lump for fuel
    - no more than medium internal (125-130 in centre)
    - let the meat speak for itself (not too heavy a rub coating, and don't worry about 'marinating' in a rub)
    - enjoy, enjoy, enjoy....
    Some nice beers and maybe some wine if that's yer bag, but just relish that fine piece of meat... I know I would if I didn't have a mortgage payment to worry about...
    Qfan

• smokeypete
    Options
    BBQfan1, you rite... about a weeks wages. i will do as you instructed, direct.. but i think cut into steaks.. about an inch and a half thick... cooked rare (of course) and wine is my bag.. we have a few good bottles picked out...B.V. georges latour private reserve 1996,(each bottle another weeks wages). it should be a good feast. fast and hot it is! broken potatoes roasted in the oven.. and a tossed salad with fresh baked peach pie for desert. i'll post again, if i live thru all that joy.
  • Hooter
    Hooter Posts: 134
    Options
    smokeypete,[p]The absolute best thing you can do w/ a tenderloin is the drunk and dirty recipe in the Smoke and Spice book. I've done many times and always a hit. [p]
  • QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    smokeypete,[p]My Anniversary Dinner post below shows two filets cut from a whole beef tenderloin, 2" thick. I seasoned with a little olive oil, kosher salt, freshly ground pepper, freshly grated ginger, and just a splash of Dale's seasoning. T'Rex'd them (90 min/side at 750°, rest 20 minutes, let grill come down to 400° and stablized, 3-4 minutes/side to finish). Turned out a nice medium rare and were melt in your mouth good.[p]QBabe
    :~)

• QBabe
    Options
    QBabe,[p]Oops, forgot the secret ingrediant...garlic butter. We had some leftover from making garlic bread and when the steaks came off the grill, put a pat of garlic butter on each filet and served.[p]Very tasty!
    QBabe

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Wow, Tonia!! 90 minutes a side? Guess you wanted them really well done, eh? :) See you in a few weeks!!![p]Jim
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    smokeypete,
    i buy whole tenderloins all the time at costco. . .i cut off the big end (about 2 1/2 - 3 lbs) and do that as a small roast (rubbed with olive oil/kosher salt/pepper or dizzy cowlick). . .seared/rested/then roasted in the egg (sort of trexed). . .the center section i cut into 4 healthy 2 inch filet mignons, and also trex em. ..the tail, i save and use in chili. . . .if you are feeding a bunch of folks, i agree with others, do the thing whole, sear it first, then 'roast' it the rest of the way. . .and with tenderloin, lest is best. . .i.e. salt pepper oil, nothing more. . .oh yea, and you want the puppy rare in the middle. ..a good doctor ought to be able to bring it back to life. .. there will be enough medium to well on the end slices to take care of the couple of folks you have that would like it that way. . .[p]enjoy, its a wonderful hunk of meat

• QBabe
    Options
    JSlot,[p]90 minutes/side for the SEAR...then about 3-4 minutes/side at 400° for the finish after the rest....yep, well-done steaks, if I say so myself, hee hee![p]See you soon,
    Tonia

• smokeypete
    Options
    QBabe, i like the garlic butter idea... will try that! i may cut the 90 minute sear down a bit tho... maybe a nice round hour would be better.. don't want to over do it.

• QBabe
    Options
    JSlot,[p]Geez...I read that several times and STILL didn't pick up on it...should be 90 SECONDS/side.[p]I'm just working too hard and not giving my posts enough thought, LOL![p]Tonia

• QBabe
    Options
    smokeypete,[p]Y'know, JSlot pointed out the 90 MINUTES, but it went right over my head, twice! Obviously, that was supposed to be 90 SECONDS/side...gosh, I hope any newbies out there did not really try that...! Sorry.[p]The butter addition was truely incredible. Hope you like it![p]Enjoy,
    QBabe
    :~)[p]