Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

what do you cook on your Mini?

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I bought a large this spring; I'm hooked, it's great, etc. BUT, I find myself lighting it a couple times a week for very simple, straightforward grilling tasks (like two turkey burgers, or a couple of hot dogs, or some asparagus, or to roast a pepper or two). So now I'm thinking I need a Mini. Please tell me what you cook on your Mini, whether you find it a useful supplement to your larger grill, etc. TIA.

Comments

• Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    It's pretty much the only Egg I use for lunchtime cooks. In the past week I cooked Bubba Burgers, cheese wurst and shoulder lamb chops. If I had to give up one of my Eggs I'd be hard pressed to choose between the Large and the Small, but it wouldn't be the Mini.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    It cooks just about anything that will fit in it. -RP

IMG_1221Small.jpg
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    If I had mini, I would cook food on it, but I have a small. I cook food on it too... :blink:
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    I use my mini more than the large or medium combined.

I do chicken pieces, salmon and other fish fillets, steaks, burgers, sausages, dogs, pork chops, potatoes...pretty much anything that will fit.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    I ended up getting all the eggs from large down. My dealer kept trying to talk me out of getting the mini.

I use the mini more than I do the small and medium combined. I wish I would have bought the mini as my second egg.

The mini works great for the wife and I as well as up to 3 younger grand kids.

If you need something larger than a mini then get a medium or a second large.

GG
  • I Cook the same things as Rod.
    It's easier to list what I don't cook.

In the winter, I had the mini on the deck and that's pretty much all I used all winter.
    IMG_0038.jpg
    that's about 1.5lbs of steak tips
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    We use our mini a lot...last week while camping we cooked beer butt chicken, pork tenderloin, pizzas, chocolate cupcakes, spinach-artichoke bread bowl, chicken caesar salad bites, corn on the cob, baked potatoes and a few other items...we love the mini.
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Just about anything. I have raised grid and indirect setups for my mini so the little guy cooks just like it's big brother but with smaller portions. One ribeye, three 1/4 pounder hamburgers, 5 lamb chops, 6 hotdogs, one small pork butt, three large potatoes, two chicken breasts. I have baked bread and pizza in my mini also. The list goes on but you get the idea.
    The mini is handy, user friendly, cute and most of all fun. And of no small feat; It's the best steak grilling machine of all the eggs (just my opinion). :whistle:
    BGEMiniRackofLamb004.jpg
    IMG_3890.jpg
    IMG_5433-1.jpg
    BGEminilambchops0004.jpg
    BGESteakforChristmas0010.jpg
  • My large is on the lower deck, and my mini is on the upper deck at my house where the kitchen is, so my mini gets the most use.

Plus it us more portable than the small, weighing only 30 lbs. That means taking it to the beach, tailgates, friends houses, vacations, etc.

Here are some cooks:

spatchcock chicken

CIMG3075.jpg

CIMG3076.jpg

9" stuffed pork loin feeds 4

CIMG3085.jpg

CIMG3087.jpg

chicken skewers - feeds at least 4 with sides

CIMG3205.jpg

Cast iron skillet cooking, the handle has been cut off - scallops here

CIMG3234.jpg

pizza and mini pizzas

CIMG3284.jpg

P4290089.jpg

salmon on the cedar plank

P5140227.jpg

P5280389.jpg

jalepeno poppers

P6020414.jpg

hot dogs

P7050771.jpg

oysters

P7040749.jpg

STEAK!!!

P6210650.jpg

breakfast casserole

P61405781.jpg

P6140584.jpg

This list goes on and on..... I think it is a great compliment to your large.

Faith
    Tampa
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Is that a martini sitting next to the poppers? :woohoo:
    Wow, that's a lota nice cookin on the mini. :cheer:
    Cheers!
    BGESteakforChristmas0018.jpg
  • It is wine, ClayQ. My drink of choice. Your martini pic looks fabulous!! And your pics made me hungry!

Faith
    Tampa
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • All Eggcelent but those oysters look too good.
  • Wings
    IMG_4801800x600.jpg

Fritata
    IMG_4626800x600.jpg

ABT
    IMG_4535800x600.jpg

Three bones from a prime rib cook
    IMG_4541800x600.jpg

IMG_4543800x600.jpg

Stuffed tenderloin
    IMG_4356800x600.jpg

Cornbread
    IMG_3882800x600.jpg

Three hens
    IMG_3908800x600.jpg

Pancakes
    IMG_3856800x600.jpg

Eggs
    IMG_3864800x600.jpg

Veggies
    IMG_3901800x600.jpg

Duck
    IMG_0483800x600.jpg

Salmon
    IMG_3403800x600.jpg
  • FSUScotsman
    FSUScotsman Posts: 754
    What is the lowest temp that you can maintain over time in a mini?
  • Dang, Frank: that's quite a variety of food for such a small grill. I guess my fate is sealed: I need to get a mini. What do you use for a platesetter on the mini?
  • FWIW- I don't use a platesetter, just aluminum foil to shield from the direct heat and catch drippings. Some folks get the 8" pizza stones and do those on the level below for indirect cooks.

When I got my mini, I bought it with an extra grid and made a raised grid out of it. that sits on top of the regular grid and allows me the space to add the alum. foil for indirect/drip pan.

I forgot about what Clay does. He has an extra fire ring to get the raised grid-a great idea!
  • For a while I was using a piece that I cut out of a busted platesetter. Now I'm using a platesetter made out of a piece of 3/4" plate. Seasoned it just like a CI skillet a few days ago and first use is tonight.

Gogetchuone - you will like it. Some look at it as a toy butitsnot. :)
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Picture1037.jpg :(
    "caution item may become hot...."
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    90 on a 92 degree day and no fire...
  • milesofsmiles
    milesofsmiles Posts: 1,377
    I have cut and pasted for the our web site the pictures of your beautiful mini food cooks. May I use your pics ? If not please contact me off the forum, also may I use your forum name for proper credit lest someone shoule think I did those. lol. Smiles out.
  • Ouch! Epic cooking fail. Don't use alumnium where steel is needed, right?