Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about heating/reheating pulled pork

Options
RJH
RJH Posts: 129
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm cooking a bunch of pulled pork, 3 or 4 butts, for a swim meet this Saturday. Now the cooking will be overnight before the meet, and then I need to take it to the meet and keep it warm for serving. Is it coke or diet coke you put in a foil pan or crock pot to keep it from drying out? Or is my memory really failing me and it's something all together different. And is it recommended to pull it all ahead of time, or leave it whole and pull it at the meet as needed? I'm thinking pull it ahead of time.

Suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    yes - real Coca-Cola NOT diet and heaven forbid NEVER Pepsi! BTW that Coke trick is for reheating the pork after it has been pulled. If the end of the cook is close enough to the serving time, you might not need to reheat at all. Just wait and pull it there as long as you have wrapped the butts well in foil, then towels or paper and then slipped into an air tight cooler for keeping.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    The way I do it is seal it in vacuum seal backs and reheat in hot water while still in bags. It stays moist and juicy that way.
    You can heat in crock pot also with coke. If you serve sauced the sauce will keep it moist also. I prefer mine unsauced though.
    I would pull while it is still warm. Once it cools it does not pull as easy.
    I am not an expert at pulled pork(5-6 times). But this is how I have done it so far with good results.
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Some swear by Dr Pepper, but not the "DIET" variety (the same goes for whatever other brand you choose)! Enjoy your entertaining! 8 - )
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    :blush: I didn't read the post good enough.
    If you wrap in foil and then in towels they will stay warm enough to serve for several hours.
    I once had three 8 pounders still hot enough to serve 5 hours after pulling off the egg.
    If you plan on this way do not pull until ready to serve.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    pull it ahead of time, when the collagen has meted into gelatin and it pulls easily. it takes more heat to melt gelatin than it does to make gelatin from collagen in the first place. it will not do you any good too try to reheat the thing whole.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Kokeman,

That is what I do without the coke. I do a manual seal on the foodsaver before it all packs up tight.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• RJH
    RJH Posts: 129
    Options
    I've done that when I refrigerate or freeze leftover pulled pork. For this Saturday it will be going from the egg to the ice chest to the swim meet, with no refrigeration involved. I was looking for suggestions for keeping it hot and moist while at the concession stand. I did get good suggestions for that though. I should have left "reheat" out of the subject :ohmy: