Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burgers - wood?

Options
Ribhead
Ribhead Posts: 123
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After posting earlier - I now realize that I am missing out by not cooking burgers on the egg (I assumed not much different that on a gasser)!

So...I am going to do burgers in the next few nights!

-Do you add wood chucks? thinking not because of the fast cook!!

-What is a good temp to cook at?

Thks

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i add a big hunk of oak from the wood pile sometimes and i like to cook them hot
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i almost always toss some wood in. often it's just a stick that fell from the oak or maple and landed on the bricks near the egg....

smells great
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Sooner Egg
    Sooner Egg Posts: 578
    Options
    I don't add any wood and I cook em at 450
  • Auburnegger
    Auburnegger Posts: 127
    Options
    Jack Daniels wood chips are great with burgers. I cook my burgers around 550. Enjoy.
  • rsmdale
    rsmdale Posts: 2,472
    Options
    A chunk of hickory adds just a little different flavor.

GOOD EATS AND GOOD FRIENDS

DALE
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Love cherry or apple wood. Grape Vine and JD No.7 is also good.

I usually cook at 400° to 450° unless the burgers are real thick then I will drop the dome to 350°- 400° and cook longer.

GG
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Surely you let that fallen wood dry for several months in a humidity controlled environment and then carefully remove every last trace of any bark or bark-like material from it, lastly sanitizing it to insure it is free from all pesticides, herbicides, and insecticides....no?

Me, I toss in a chunk of oak. I like oak with beef.
  • Essex County
    Essex County Posts: 991
    Options
    Once in a while, I do semi-slow burgers at 300. A 1/3 pound burger will take maybe 25-30 minutes to get to 130. This is a good approach if you want to taste the smoke. They also come out really juicy. The downside? No char on the outside. I can live with that but some folks have to have the crust.
  • stike
    Options
    i absa-frikkin-lootly KNEW you were gonna say that.

hahaha

you knob
  • stike
    Options
    you try that hickory bark? did it kill you yet? wondering what your thoughts are not about just having bark on the wood, but using ONLY bark sometimes.
  • Aron
    Aron Posts: 170
    Options
    I also like hickory with burgers (I use chips). My other favorite is mesquite.
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Options
    I like them cooked at 400, like Grandpas Grub. I think you get more of that delicious egged taste when you cook them on a lower temp. Plus, the moisture retention the egg provides is really great for burgers.

Faith
    Tampa
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • Egg-N-Tino
    Egg-N-Tino Posts: 157
    Options
    I have found that with such a short cook, a small 'kiss' of smoke makes a big difference. Lately with burgers it has been Jack Daniel's wood chipped barrels, but Oak, Mesquite even fruit woods will give you just a hint of smoke within the burger.

Experiment with several types of wood until you find your liking.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    was waiting to use it for a pork loin or something similar. could try it tonight on some chicken maybe.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    Options
    pork is better...
    i'd wait
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    I cook burgers at 400º on a CI grid on the fire ring in the Small or on the Spider in the Large. I use a chunk of hickory when I think of it.
  • rosros
    rosros Posts: 408
    Options
    400 degrees with hickory. on the egg the burgers retain their original shape. on the gasser the burgers pucker up in the center.