Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lid Allignment

Neptunes
Neptunes Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Getting ready to install a Nomex on my large BGE. After I installed my last standard BGE gasket, the lid dug into the bottom gasket. I'm sure this is an alignment issue, but I'm just not sure how to correct it. Any tips on alignment would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
It's no coincidence that man's best friend can't talk.

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Do a dollar bill test.

Put the dome on the base without the bands tight. Tighten the bands in steps. First bottom, tighten the bolt to just snug, make sure the band is down to the molded band stop in the base of the egg. Tighten more and again check the band stop. Tighten up to just before bold bend and again make sure the band is well seated down to the band stop.

Below is a link to dollar bill alignment test. This is a comprehensive test but it works well and solved a huge problem for me. You can make the dollar bill test as simple or as complete as you want.

Using a form of dollar bill test, paper in between the dome and base repeat the tightening sequence as described above.

You want the band up seated against the molded band stop on the dome as far as possible.

In each tightening sequence check the alignment. You will quickly see if the band is pulling the dome up or down in any given spot. Also, keep an eye on side to side or front to back alignment (overbite).

Tighten, check, tighten, check... until you are just before bolt bend point.

Do a final check on the dollar bill test and overbite. If all is OK then tighten the bolts to bolt bend point.

It is quicker to do than to explain or read.

Here is the link for a detailed Dollar Bill Test

Let us know if you have any questions.

GG
  • Neptunes
    Thanks G.G.
    Good info. Just what I was looking for. I'll give it a try. I've completed the new gasket. Came out nice. :cheer:
  • Neptunes
    Thanks G.G.
    Good info. Just what I was looking for. I'll give it a try. I've completed the new gasket. Came out nice. :cheer:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Let us know how the alignment turns out. If you can do the dollar bill test once with no bands so you have a reference. Once, I ran into a big problem at that stage.

GG