Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking my Goose

Options
mollyshark
mollyshark Posts: 1,519
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Anyone ever done a goose on the egg? What do you think? I've done a mean oven goose, but no thoughts of what would be good on an egg.[p]Incidentally, did an archive search and it gave me this which I thought was rather hysterical:[p]No matches were found for '(goose or goosing or gooses)'

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    MollyShark,
    Aren't they similar to ducks?? Fatty and tasty??[p]Try a search for duck....I remember JJ posted a good recipe a ways back.[p]Good luck.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • King-O-Coals
    Options
    MollyShark, I got goosed by my eighth grade teacher,,,, and I "got the goose" at an Irish Wake,,,, but I've never cooked a goose. Although,, I have had the priviledge to have "my goose cooked". HAAAAAAAAAAAA! Sorry,,, I'm full of it tonight....

• Hanker'n2Grill
    Options
    MollyShark,[p]Just thought I would throw this in for whatever it is worth. When I was younger I used to always spend the summers as part of a wheat harvesting crew that traveled from Oklahoma north to Montana as the wheat gradually ripened. I was just a small town kid from Kansas so that was pretty exciting. Anyway we usually spent about a month in Montana and I never will forget the meals served to us by the farm/ranch families whilst working. My mouth still waters. One of the ranchers used to regale us with delightful memories of earlier repasts and one of my favorites was this:
    He would get an equally sized turkey and goose and cut each in half. He would then use cooking string and bind or sew the halves one to the other. He would bake this combo ... just like baking a turkey. He said to always cook with the goose half on top so that the extra juices flow down (goose is apparently somewhat oily) and soak into the turkey which is naturally a bit dryer. I don't know if it's any good but I have always wanted to try it. Here it is 35 years later and I can still see him talking about that in my mind. If anyone has ever tried this let me know. Now that I've remembered it again maybe I'll try it myself. It would have to be even better cooked in Mr. Big.

• Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    MollyShark,[p]I smoked a duck anbout three months ago. It came out great. The drip pan was very important (alot of fat)!
  • Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    Hanker'n2Grill,
    You are exactly right! My grandma did the same thing with a goose and a wild duck. It works and it flavors both the duck or turkey. Domestic goose is covered with a thick layer of fat. Wild duck, is usually skined rather than "plucked". The resulting bird is a very dry dark meat critter. It has to have something to moisten it during the cook or it tastes like cardboard! She made sure, the goose was on top and that both birds were on a rack above any excess grease that may cook out of the goose! [p]A goose on the Egg? Go for it! Its a great method and it sure is tasty! A goose cooked on the Egg, will not be any problem! It will absorb the smoke if you use it and you will be delighted with the results. Use the same recipe you use for oven baked goose as a primer. Very slight modifications if any will be needed! We love it and we do goose on the Egg at least 3 or 4 times a year. 'Course we do a lot of game on the Egg! It was meant for it![p]Dr.Chicken

• Hanker'n2Grill
    Options
    Dr. Chicken,[p]Thanks for the realization that my memories might be real and not just a dream. Now I've REALLY gotta try this sometime. Wonder what wood chips to use for smokin'?[p]Uuuuuuuummmmmmm Boy!!!!
  • Dr. Chicken
    Dr. Chicken Posts: 620
    Options
    Hanker'n2Grill,
    Go for pecan or one of the fruit woods! I like pecan the best for fowl![p]Dr. Chicken[p]p.s.: Look at your e-mail!

• MAC
    MAC Posts: 442
    Options
    MollyShark,
    Poor lady asks a question and ends up being "Straight Man" for you guys. I have cooked goose in the oven. I would assume you would cook it in a similar manor. Indirect, with pan, and a little smoke. Stuff the cavity with oranges cut in half. You could serve it with an orange sauce like duck. Wild rice on the side. Yum[p]MAC

• JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    MollyShark,
    I did a duck a couple of months ago and you should get the same results with a goose. You marinate the duck for 2 days in soy sauce, hoisin sauce, garlic and a few more things. Put a pizza stone on the Egg and heat it to 500F. Roast the duck for 15 minutes. Remove and refrigerate for 1 hour. Then back on the Egg at 325F until the thigh reaches 175F. Let rest for 15 minutes.[p]This saturday I'm doing another one only this time I'm going to do the initial roast at 500F in the oven (that way I figure I won't have to go through the process of cooling the Egg. I'll e-mail you the recipe if you like. If you have Mastercook 4 or 5 I can send it in that format.
    JimW