Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

For get about it. Just wasn trying to make a point

Options
Pork Butt Mike
Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was just trying to make a point. Had nothing to do with anything else but GASKET.

For Get About It.

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Get used to it my friend...for the last 10 years questions get asked without even paying attention to it being answered 3 posts below them asking...let alone doing any research :laugh: :laugh: As you said, all that can be done is to stay away from it..sad but true..
  • Pork Butt Mike
    Pork Butt Mike Posts: 2,584
    Options
    You know Wess, maybe a am old fashion. But before I buy anything, specially a big ticket item. All I do is research it to the fullest extent. The dollar is to hard to come by these days. Hope things are going good for you guys up there, have a great day my friend.
  • Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    Options
    Sometimes people feel their situation is somehow different then the other guys. Sometimes they are just to lazy to take the time to read and sometimes they just don't know any better.

One other frequently asked question that appears every Saturday morning: "Help my fire went out is my butt safe?"
  • WessB
    Options
  • Unknown
    Options
    You know I was thinking the same thing about pizza. I mean it’s been posted so many times why do people keep asking about it? And how many times does beer can chicken versus spatchcock chicken have to be explained? Then there is Thanksgiving and all the turkey questions. For crying out loud just follow the links. Then on to Christmas and everyone has to ask about prime rib. Seriously what’s all this posting about anyway?
  • BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    Options
    "What's an ABT?"

An oldie, but a goodie!
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    you trying to put the mad max turkey hotline out of business or somethin?!??!?! thats sacreligous!!! :woohoo:
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I hope he's got his tongue in his cheek. Otherwise, anyone who wants a forum where each question is answered only once should go participate in a wiki or something.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Fifty bucks says it's JS. hahaha
  • WessB
    Options
    I look at it like this...if someone asked about spatchcock chicken...I aint gonna explain it...I'm just gonne point them to your website...you went to the time and trouble, and it's spelled out very clearly, so why should I bother...and if anyone searched this forum for spatchcock they would easily find a link to your info....But we have all been doing this long enough to know...that aint usually how it works...
  • Buster Dog BBQ
    Buster Dog BBQ Posts: 1,366
    Options
    I would venture to say the forum layout leads to a lot of it. On my view the search is in the upper right hand corner and hard to see immediately, so people are perhaps missing it as well ss the one under the ads that kind of blends in to everything else.

I won't even offer up the suggestion of a new forum layout but if such thing happened it would sure be easier to find by category, especially for newbies.
  • BConk
    BConk Posts: 72
    Options
    Maybe one of the reasons new eggers continuously ask about the gasket failure is because they think the problem is rare...maybe they even think that they are the only people that have experienced it.

If you think about it - after shelling out that much money to buy one of these things, it doesn't seem to me to be too much of a stretch for a first time buyer to imagine that their $500 - $1,000 grill normally comes equipped with a gasket that can actually withstand the anything near the temperatures the maker tells you their product can handle without falling apart or burning away within a month or so of purchase.

Would that it were true. :ermm:

Maybe another reason they ask is because they want to participate and become an active member of the group. In which case - is telling them to read before they ask a any questions a nice welcome?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    seems to come in waves, alot of newbies with new eggs right now for the summer. not many in the newengland area burning gaskets with all the rain were getting week after week after week.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    yes. i'm guessing that was irony....
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    I'm going to take the non-popular opinion. There is a lot of old timers and new people coming on every day. I think every topic has been covered and anything ever cooked has had a picture posted of it. Yes it gets redundant. If everyone searched, I think the forum activity would drop to next to nothing. I think that's why this is such an active forum and keeps it alive. I know when I came on this forum I'm sure I asked stupid and old questions. Guys like you and others always responded in a kind way. Also some of the real stupid stuff is entertaining.
    IMHO
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    What is a spatchcock chicken?
  • Raebo
    Raebo Posts: 47
    Options
    Sure, there are a lot of repeat questions.
    New eggers I think just want to get involved with the forum.
    Most respondents are platinum eggers who seem to be loosing patience with new people interacting or at least trying.
    If you want it to be an old boys club where newbies are humiliated for asking a repeat question, then fine it will be you and 20 other people on this forum.
    I for one even though I don't post much for that very reason will try to help anybody I can no matter what.
    Very kind and patient folks helped me when I first started, their help was invaluable.
    Bravo to all of the kind and patient egg mentors "Thank You"
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    questions around here are just like cooking......some folks have different ways of looking at or processing/performing it......and cooking is just like dating (physical contact).....looks good, feels good, fun to do but not really sure till the next morning if it was really all that good or your best effort. So I guess questions are just like dating....ask, process but in the end, not really sure of the results so ask, process.....again. And we all love dating.......

Dang, purdy deep for only one cup of coffee this morning and on a Tuesday no less. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Raebo,

Good post!

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    Options
    "spatchcock chicken" is redundant...

:)
  • Unknown
    Options
    HAHAHA….not Stike but raised in that same smart a$$ part of the country. Too much of a wuss to use a handle….peace to all.
  • zipur74
    zipur74 Posts: 48
    Options
    I would like to add to this thread as I am very new. That being said I think the layout of the forum does not provide us neweggs a quick place to get the most common information. The answer is Stickys at the very top of this forum to address basic questions like …
    How to make a basic Rub, quick chicken, Posting Pictures, Placement of ribs, Drip pan placement, Vent opening vs Temp., Explanation of indirect vs direct cooking, Fuel and firebox maintenance, Felt vs Nomex, Is smoking hazardous to your health, Grilling vs Smoking, Routine maintenance, Gadgets.
    You could fill up the entire forum page with theses common questions that every new egger will ask.
    It can be said that the down side would be less viewers or less activity. However I think it would add to the quality of the forum allowing for more pictures!!
    I wrote a similar request for this type of Stickys when I first got my egg. I posted the request in the Forum Feedback area but never got a reply. So I hope one of you platinum eggers have enough input to make this to happen and add some Sticky links that wont disappear
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    What Steve said.

I don't mind the repeat questions. I pass on them when busy and wander through them when I can. On the odd occasion that I can help someone (normally already taken care of by someone else), I'm happy to do so. I have learned a lot here and continue to do so even on repeat questions - different angle, different approach to solving similar issues.

I really enjoyed the bloody chicken thread this morning - especially Stike's explanation. Even though I hadn't run into the issue before I now understand it a little better in case I do. BTW - it was covered before.

A non repeat question is - how does an architectual illustrator know all this stuff about meat, ducks, dry age curing, chicken blood, etc? B) Wonder if he's just putting out all this stuff and doesn't know what he's talking about. :ermm: Just kidding obviously.

Let's hold hands and sing Kumbaya. :lol:
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Frank,

I agree. Everybody started at some time and sometimes the patience seems to get a little thin.
    BTW, did you see my reply to your post the other day?
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=679568&catid=1

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Only if the chicken is about 6 weeks old.... :laugh:
    The Naked Whiz
  • stike
    Options
    and male
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    That's funny. No, I didn't see it the other day thanks for pointing it out. Actually our girls were just cleaned up that day - they don't know they are supposed to stay nice and tidy. They run the yard and roll in the dirt - they must think they are dogs or something. B)
  • Unknown
    Options
    Like Maynard use to say-If you dont dig it,dont click it. Its simple really. Try it
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    zipur74 wrote:
    I would like to add to this thread as I am very new. That being said I think the layout of the forum does not provide us neweggs a quick place to get the most common information.

It seems that everyone likes and uses the forum but want's it changed.

Looking at your list of questions and a few more, why don't folks use the search function to find answers.

These results are just simple searches, if one uses some delimiters or advance hundreds of more responses would be retrieved.

This list of look and copying the results took about 17 minutes. You can see the time to fetch the individual results below.

. basic Rub - 280 hits in 0.0240 sec
    . chicken - 2491 0.2053 sec
    . Posting Pictures - 221 Hits 0.0262 sec
    . ribs - 2256 0.1463 sec
    . Drip pan - (drip or pan) - 201 0.0192 sec
    . Vent - 65 - 0.0268 sec
    . Temperature - 326 Hits - 0.0275 sec
    . Indirect - 303 - 0.2576 sec
    . Direct - 183 - 0.4924 seconds
    . Lump - 470 - 0.0597 seconds
    . firebox - 64 - 0.8543 seconds
    . felt - 65 Hits -0.0095 seconds
    . Nomex - 61 - 12.8010 seconds
    . gasket - 469 - 0.0609 seconds
    . smoke - 434 - 0.3312 seconds
    . health - 8 - 0.3390 seconds
    . maintenance - 17 - 0.0103 seconds
    . gadgets - 3 - 0.0158 seconds
    . guru - 185 - 0.0204 seconds
    . temperature - 326 - 0.0315 seconds
    . information - 35 - 0.0340 seconds
    . Tips - 208 - 0.0213 seconds
    . Hints - 5 - 0.0332 seconds
    . Links - 32 - 0.0170 seconds
    . Link - 65 - 0.0177 seconds
    . newbie - 379 - 0.0759 seconds
    . Sticky - 10 - 0.8771 seconds
    . format - 16 - 0.0258 seconds

And if an answer can't be found it is obvious almost everyone will jump in and help on any given question.

I wonder how many people asking for change has even tried using the search function?

GG