Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How many run NO gastkets

Options
Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,674
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After bbq chickens yesterday ran up heat on large to clean and when opened both gaskets fell off.(3 month old large)
QUESTION: how many of you run w/o gaskets. My small the (if it has)gaskets are so thin. But works fine.

How well will the large work w/o gaskets? Do many of you run it w/o?
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    My gasket has been nonexistant for several months now.I have noticed NO difference in the performance of my large on ANY temp cook.IMHO gaskets are USLESS,and if you don't have one then it cannot be an issue.I would suggest to NEVER replace a gasket.They are purely cosmetic and have no effect on the egg's abilities whatsoever.If I bought a new egg today the first thing I would do is remove the gasket and throw it away before I ever fired up the first batch of lump. :)
  • Mickey
    Options
    Hoss do you think many others run w/o gaskets on large?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    The gasket on my 2 year old large is virtually non-existent...I cooked a few butts last week and there was minimal leakage and the BGE held at 250 for almost 18 hours.....
  • Mickey
    Options
    Kim that sounds like my small. Are you going to replace?

• Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    I know a couple of others have stated that their gaskets have eventually disintigrated and they did not replace them.I cannot recall their handles rite now but there are a few of us. :ohmy: ;)
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    I run with "some" gasket, And will run with no gasket once it finishes disappearing. I haven't had any problems with low and slow or hot and fast.

Doug
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    The gaskets on my large are close to being no gaskets.

I do want gaskets on my eggs, but many people don't have them at all. I think fishlessman is also gasketlessman.

GG
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    Mickey,
    I have no gasket on my medium, it is clean ceramic all the way around and and I have noticed zero diffence on any type of cook over the past year without it. When my gasket on the large goes, I will not be replacing it either.
  • kolbdriver
    kolbdriver Posts: 403
    Options
    My 5 year old LGE still remnants of the gasket. Not much!! Still works just as it always has. Like Hoss says gaskets are over rated !

• doccjb
    doccjb Posts: 238
    Options
    I recently replaced my gasket after several months without anything to speak of. I doubt very much I will replace this one when it croaks.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    I haven't had any gasket to speak of for years, and I haven't missed it a bit. Even 200* low-n-slow cooks go without a hitch. All they seem to be is a headache.
  • porterhouse64
    Options
    I ran my XL without a gasket for about 1 year.

I did finally put on a nomex gasket a few weeks back.

Not a noticeable difference.

Probably will not replace the nomex if it ever fails.
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    I find my egg cooks quieter with a gasket than without.
  • Jeffersonian
    Jeffersonian Posts: 4,244
    Options
    Quieter?? :blink:
  • Garnerac
    Garnerac Posts: 134
    Options
    The biggest thing I would worry about is that you will have 2 pieces of ceramic coming together without any "bumper".
    I would be concerned about the chance of chipping the ceramic more than anything. My L has been used about 3 times a week for a year with any issue. I'll replace it when the time comes......
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    no gaskets for several years. mines clean enough to read made in mexico where its cast into the rim.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • jeffy
    jeffy Posts: 34
    Options
    The original gasket on my 4 year old large has disintegrated and I've been too lazy to replace it. Seems to work just fine without it.
  • zipur74
    zipur74 Posts: 48
    Options
    I’m new but after a few years would the soot and gunk build up on the rim to provide a tight seal. That’s what happened on the my WSM.
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    I don't think so, mine is still crazy clean after a year of no gasket. The seal at that point is almost irrelevant. I haven't even had to adjust how I set my vents to hold 250° or lower. Lump usage has remained about the same. The only gripe that I have is that smoke comes out the side, but the only negative to that is the aesthetics. No big deal, I can't ever see going to the trouble to put another gasket back on there. When my lrge goes, it'll stay gone too.