Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Publix lump? Experience?

Options
GriffinGaDawg
GriffinGaDawg Posts: 332
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've heard it good, but couldn't find it on Naked Wiz's site.

update: I found it on TNW's website and it seems favorable.

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    Publix Greenwise lump is the same as Royal Oak, since they make it for them. Same thing with Kroger lump.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    It always amazes me when people can't find a brand of lump on my website, LOL! Maybe my brain doesn't work like other folks brains or sumthin'. Oh well, glad you found it! :laugh:
    The Naked Whiz
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options
    I have used quit a bit of it, it is made by Royal Oak and I don't see any difference. I like it, down here in the swamp we don't get very much selection of lump so to have two sources of a good charcoal is nice. It lights easy (can spark a lot), burns hot when you need it to and doesn't produce huge amounts of ash. Not much flavor to it but that's what I have smoke woods for.

Gator
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    I used it last week while in Florida. The size of the lump was good and I found it on sale. It was exclusively used for rib and butt cooks. The ash was low and I had no problem maintaining temps.
  • SSN686
    SSN686 Posts: 3,504
    Options
    Morning GriffinGaDawg:

Like the others have said, it seems to be a good lump. I have been using it for at least the last six months as my primary lump and have not had any problems with it. Since I seem to be in Publix at least once a week, I usually grab a couple of bags so I don't ever have a shortage. They just last month opened a GFS MarketPlace in our town and I got a 20# bag of their lump for $12, but haven't tried it yet.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

• GriffinGaDawg
    Options
    welllllll, it was a glance more than a look. :laugh:
  • HungryMan
    HungryMan Posts: 3,470
    Options
    Cooking on it right now and it's good.
  • Aunt Crazy
    Aunt Crazy Posts: 378
    Options
    You said that beautifully....
  • Charleston Dave
    Options
    I've used quite a bit of Publix Greenwise. It's been on sale here for $5 or less on several occasions.

Lump size is good, burns hot, easy to light but notable sparking.

Flavor-neutral, like Gator said. I'm generally happy with it, perhaps a bit more than I am with Royal Oak from WalMart.

Current list price is $5.49 for 4 kg (8.8 lbs).

I don't know who makes it for them. The manufacturer is not shown. The package doesn't say country of origin.