Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Old/New/Old Eastern Market and Beef Short Ribs

Options
mad max beyond eggdome
mad max beyond eggdome Posts: 8,134
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
winter08-09167.jpg

As some of you may remember the historic eastern market on Capitol Hill in Washington DC had a major fire 2 years ago. ..its where we always went to buy our packer briskets and hanger steaks (and other goodies). ...for the past two years the various vendors were able to operate out of a temporary shed across the street in a school yard while they rebuilt the old market (the shell survived the fire, but that was about it) .. .. they re-opened the market last week and did a beautiful renovating the place.. ..using old photos and historical documents they restored to its original colors and look to the best of their ability while modernizing all the electrical and mechanical systems. ..all the vendors are right back in their original spots. ...

winter08-09166.jpg

of course, i couldn't go in without visiting my favorite butcher, roy, at union meats and picking up a whole brisket!! ....roy is just happy to be back in his old spot and says "Hi"!!

winter08-09165.jpg

while i was there, they also had some great looking, really meaty beef short ribs. ...picked up a couple of pounds worth. ...first thing i did was dust em up with some dizzy cow lick

summer09001.jpg

then onto the egg direct at about 450 degrees with some jack daniels chips for about 5 minutes per side. . .just long enough to get some good egg flavor into them . .

summer09004.jpg

then into a pan with some red onion and about half full with a good hearty burgundy wine

summer09005.jpg

then i sealed the pan up really good and tight with a double layer of HDAF and put it back in the egg indirect (grid over inverted plate setter) at about 375 dome temp for a good 2 1/2 hours ( could have gone even longer but thats all the time i had as we were going out) . .

summer09006.jpg

when they came out of they came out of the egg after the 2 1/2 hours the meat was falling off the bones, it was very tender. ...i took the meat of the pan and set it aside on a plate. . .

summer09008.jpg

i then took a large skillet, heated it up, put in 3 tablespoons of butter and 3 tablepoons of flour, whisked that into a smooth roux, then poured in all the liquid from the pan. ...whisked it into a smooth sauce, and then added in the onions as well. . .made a fantastic sauce!!

summer09009.jpg

then i put the beef ribs into the skillet, turned them over in the sauce a couple of times and they were ready to serve. ...

summer09012.jpg

served em in big bowls over pasta ..(would have been slightly better over egg noodles, but didn't happen to have any, but really any pasta will do).

summer09013.jpg

this was one fantastic meal!!!. ..the beef had great flavor .. .the wine sauce was super. . . the dizzy cowlick added all the spices you needed. ...just a great meal ...and it was very very easy!!

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Dang, you're making me hungry way too early in the day. -RP
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Dude. Just Dude.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    Glad to see the market back in full operation. The joint across the street did not do it justice.

Looks great but just wondering if the feel of the new joint lost a little of that ole, rickity charm the old joint had? tom

Crap, stuck this in the wrong spot....again.
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    Options
    That looks great and is now on my to-do list. Thanks
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    tom

still has all the same old charm. .. really does. . .surprised you didn't mention the dallas cowboys hat on friend roy!! . ..funny thing about union meats. ..all the guys that work there, in the heart of washington dc and redskins country. . ..they are all ployboys fans and they all wear cowboys hats all year long. .. .i love em anyway though!!
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Options
    Thanks for the post Max, I'll give this a try

Ross
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Amazing Max...I will give that a try very, very soon....
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    It's great to see that one of your favorite places to visit is back in full swing.Nothing like a good old fashioned mom and pop operation or sole proprietor to assist you on a shopping spree.The meal looks fabulous and will have to give it a try.One last comment.Why the ant spray on the counter?They must have smelled some good eats on the way.
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    Options
    Max that looks delicious! Glad to see the restoration. Lancaster's Central Market is getting a makeover too.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    whoops. . .yep, with all the rain, been having some ants in one corner of the kitchen. .. .keep having to lay down some spray to take care of the little buggers. ...
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    glad the market is back to "normal" for you!!

i know you missed the place ;)

ribs look great!!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    I normally do short ribs Korean-style but this one looks very enticing! I only recently started to experiment with DP rubs and now "Cow Lick" is my choice for beef. As far as ant control goes, "TERRO" liquid ant baits are very effective...
  • Frank from Houma
    Options
    That is absolutely over the top Max.

Nice place - Cowboy fans amongst Redskin fans. Hmmmm.
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    thanks. ...you can't go wrong with cow lick. .. great on all beef . ..everything from t-rex steaks to burgers. ..and good as seasoning for stews and chili. ..

and thanks for ant bait tip. ...usually resolves itself with a spray or two, but the little buggers have been hanging on in this one corner for a while now. ..
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    LOL. ...like i said to tom. ..all the guys at union meats are cowboys fans (i thinks a requirement to work there), but i won't hold it against them as long as they keep me supplied with good beef at a good price!! :woohoo:
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    Oh, Max, what have you done? Your food looks great...but you opened the Cowboys - F_reskins box! Gonna be a long year for ya, pal! :evil:
  • mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    oh yeah. ... me and tom (TJV) go back and forth every year. . ..you have to understand, i'm a life long redskins fan, but i HATE that little a$$hole danny snyder with a passion!!!. .. he has ruined the redskins for the past 10 years now....drives me nuts. .. .i almost enjoy watching them lose if only because of him (kinda like i enjoy watching the plowboys lose due to their crummy owner!!) . . .i long for the good old days of the rivalry (george allen/joe gibbs vs. tom landry, etc. . over the hill gang/hogs vs. the randy white teams, etc . .). ..its just not the same anymore. ...
  • hornhonk
    hornhonk Posts: 3,841
    Options
    I remember the good old days also. George Allen accused of watching the boys practice from a hotel room using binoculars!. My wife and I attended 1 game this year. Dallas-Washington! You handed us our a$$. The Boys went on a downward spiral after that. Oh, BGE ! { didn't want to hear the OT whiners!} LOL. I agree with the Snyder/Jones absurdity. Couple of rich schmucks screwing with our teams! Ok, nicities over...Go Cowboys. Let's have fun with this. Tom lives about 30 miles from me, by the way.
    Steve
  • Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 63
    Options
    Max, it seems to me there is one thing missing in that restoration project, and it used to be standing on the shelf right behind Roy. So when will you get around to replacing that icon of DC history?
  • jball
    jball Posts: 63
    Options
    Great tutorial, complete with pictures. You made it very easy to replicate your culinary eggsperience.

Thanks...Jball
  • Tractor
    Tractor Posts: 288
    Options
    I've been making your short ribs for a while now, Max. They're fantastic! 

That market looks just like the one in downtown Lancaster, PA where my sister lives. We go there most every time I visit them. Hope to see you at Eggtoberfest 11!