Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket on

DarkDreamer
DarkDreamer Posts: 17
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My first brisket is in progress. Rubbed with Dizzy Dust last night. Cooking at 225 dome with platesetter legs up. Small flat, only 4.5 lbs. (all Sam's had left), and I thought it might be good for a first attempt. Fat cap down. I'm going to try and post some pics(first time for that too). Take it easy on me if it doesn't work. Meat currently at 162 degrees, 3 hours in.

Brisket just going on.
IMG_0194.jpg

Cooking away on my medium egg.
IMG_0198.jpg

Always love this sight.
IMG_0204.jpg

I'll post more after it comes off. Either good or bad. Now just to sit, drink a cold one, and wait.

Comments

• Large Marge
    Large Marge Posts: 404
    good luck! My first one was similar, good news is no matter how tough it might end up it still will taste great and lots you can do with the leftovers
  • 4 hours in, dome temp holding at 225. Meat temp at 163... it dropped a degree. I'm assuming I'm at the plateau now. Time for another beer to wait it out.
  • rosros
    rosros Posts: 408
    You may need a case of beer to wait it out. Going thru the plateau stage is like watching paint dry :laugh:
  • Case of beer... check! Or what's left of it :whistle:
  • 9.5 hours later and the temp finally hits 195F. That plateau is a killer. 4 hours of waiting for it to cross 168F. The cook took a little longer than I thought, but when does a smoke go exactly as planned?

Still had juices running out of it when I pulled it.
    IMG_0210.jpg

Into the cooler it goes for the next hour. Can't wait to see how it looks when sliced. Anxious and nervous. Ahh the first time...
    IMG_0211.jpg

Will post more after it's sliced.
  • Rested an hour, unwrapped and sliced.
    IMG_0215.jpg

Could be better, could have been worse. All and all I don't think it was too bad for my first brisket. It was a small 4.5 lbs. flat. It was still a little tough, and a little dry. I didn't mop or baste is during the cook, just kept the egg closed and let it go. You can see juices on the cutting board underneath. So it wasn't a rock. Like I said... could have been better. Guess I'll just have to try again.
  • Woodbutcher
    Woodbutcher Posts: 1,017
    My first one was not too good but then it got better. I think bigger is better. Sometimes you get a better cut than other times too. Chop it up and add sauce it makes great sandwiches.
  • Eggerman1
    Eggerman1 Posts: 155
    Did you have a drip pan underneath with water or beer during the cook? Did you foil after the cook with beef broth?

I just did my first 5lbs brisket and it was great, the plateau is hard to get through.
  • Eggerman1
    Did you have a drip pan underneath with water or beer during the cook? Did you foil after the cook with beef broth?

I just did my first 5lbs brisket and it was great, the plateau is hard to get through.
  • Eggerman1

• Eggerman1

• I did have a drip pan with water underneath during the cook. I foiled after the cook, but I didn't use beef broth or anything. I'll have to give that a try. Thanks for the suggestion.
  • That's exactly what I did. I think it's somewhere in the 10 commandments that thou shalt not waste thy meat. Or maybe it just missed the cutoff, it was probably the 11th commandment. I'm still waiting for the update that puts it into the top five.