Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Looking for new Power Draft & Controls

Options
BigBlueEgg
BigBlueEgg Posts: 43
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I'm in the market for a device that will control the Egg for low and slows. I heard a lot of good things at the last Eggfest about the DigiQ. I've read a little bit about the CyberQ but think that might be a little over the top for me. I just don't see me having the need to control temps from work.

Are there any suggestions on which system to get? What about accessories and upgrades? Looking at the DigiQ II online it has a confibure page where you choose a fan and door as well as longer probe cords. I would have thought that all those things would come with the package. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    The only reason to get the cyber-q over the digi-q is if you plan to control more than 1 egg at a time and if you want the computer ability.
  • rosros
    rosros Posts: 408
    Options
    For the extra 90 you gain flexibility, newer technology, better display, can control two pits or use both thermometer on one pit monitoring two foods, able to set and monitor cook from computer, future upgradable software/firmware via internet.
  • CBBQ
    CBBQ Posts: 610
    Options
    If you deal with BBQ Guru make sure you call and verify the cost, especially shipping. I recently purchased something from them and it gave me a total cost including express shipping. No problem. You pay extra for express service. However, when I looked at my credit card bill there was an extra(seperate) $20+ charge on it from BBQ Guru on top of the order cost(including shipping). When I called they said there was a miscalculation on shipping. I explained that the order had re-calculated to a higher amount after I ordered express. Her answer was, "I guess I should have called you". Great, it had already shipped. It would have been cheaper somewhere else. BBQ Guru's products are great but when they jack up the cost after ordering and don't tell you...........
    People around here, including me love their products(I own 2 guru's) but if you are going back and forth between two good products make sure you take everything into consideration.
  • Unknown
    Options
    I've had the DigiQ II for about a year and it works very well. I use it with my large BGE. I have the 10CFM fan . It works so well that once I get it to temp, I can leave it for however long and don't worry about it. I've done 14 hour briskets and not had to mess with the temperature once. In general, I use it whenever my cook time is more than 30-45 minutes.
  • reelgem
    reelgem Posts: 4,256
    Options
    I have the digiQII and the Cyberq and I love the CyberQ. Being able to monitor 2 eggs is nice. I still haven't hooked it up via the computer. I just did a 22 hr. brisket cook with the DigiQ and no problems, both are great products, just depends on what you want to do. Guru has great customer service too.
  • EggMii
    EggMii Posts: 30
    Options
    I've got a stoker and you'll have to pry it from my cold greasy fingers someday.
    I use it on my L-BGE with the standard 5cfm fan. I have 1 grate probe and 1 meat probe. I am going to be ordering and additional meat probe, to be able to easily monitor 2 'butts' @ once. Installation and usage is simple.

I cooked for 7-8 months without a controller. When the time to purchase came(eg some extra $$), I went with the Stoker because I felt with all things being equal, and the prices similar, the stoker's network integration was what I wanted and the Stoker was what I purchased. When properly configured, this integration basically allows me to monitor and manipulate the stoker from a computer. Currently this is limited to the computers in my house, but in the future, this could be a computer (or phone) anywhere!

Rocks was good to deal with. What I ordered, for what price I was quoted on the web site, is what was shipped. My order was shipped and delivered to me in a timely fashion.

As a result of my stoker purchase:
    - I can set it up to cook as low as 200 degrees.
    - I've had single loads burn for as long as 30 hours (back to back cooks, ribs & PP)
    - I can configure the stoker (using StokerLog) to send me text messages on a cook while I'm @ out, for example at work. If nothing else, the looks on your co-workers faces when you get a text from your grill, are priceless.
    - I can save previous cooks and use those results to plan my next similar cook. The biggest thing this analysis gives me is a better idea of what temperature-gets-the-meat-done-when planning.
    - I can sleep soundly through the night when cooking anything low and slow. The stoker is on the job, no more waking up to check temps!!

As you can see I am pretty amp'd about the Stoker. It's a great device to have at your disposal!
  • Unknown
    Options
    i have the cyber, had a bit of trouble getting the lap top to recognize it in the beginning but no problem now.. only recognizes it in one of the two usb ports.. that said i love it.. no button pushing or looking at the little screen ,, all adjustment done via slider bars on the computer,, i set things where i want. unplug it from the lap top at bed time... it goes all night next morning plug it back into the lap top. review the graph of what went on.. i do not use two eggs but use the second set of probes to get two meat readings and two temps dome and grid . using the cyber and the lap top is like cooking in the oven in the house..and it brings the egg back up to temp quickly after opening the dome.
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    Options
    I vote for the DigiQII, it is very simple to use and works great. it has the 10cfm blower which is what bob reccommended for use on the LrBGE.
    good Luck.
  • anthonys735
    Options
    Just got my DigiQ II last week and used it on a 13 hour brisket this weekend. Put it on at 1am, since I was tentative I sat and watched the grill like normal for an hour. After figuring out it was going to hold that temp and all was well I went to bed and slept until 9am. No worries at all. It's almost unfair really. After I took the brisket off I set it to 375 for my ABTs, shut the lid, went inside to prep and back out. Egg was sitting firmly at 375.

For a rookie it was easy. Easy to install, ordered mine from freds with GREAT service, 10 cfm fan and I'll never look back.

Good luck.
  • Ex-Gasman
    Ex-Gasman Posts: 287
    Options
    Buy from Freds, excellent service and fast shipping
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    You configure your package because you have choices to make. You have to tell them which blower you want, which adapter you want and which probes you want. Since all these things have different prices, they have to be priced separately. They can't provide a single price for the whole package since they don't know the price until you make your choices.

So, you need a blower. I like the 10CFM blower since it doesn't cost that much more and it has an adjustable damper to throttle it down when you need to.

You need an adapter, so just tell them what size Egg you have.

You need probes. If you get the DigiQ II, probes are included, but you can upgrade them to longer cables if you like. If you get the CyberQ II, one pair of probes is included. If you want to control 2 cookers, you'll need to select a second set of probes to add to the order.

The only other thing you might want is a cigarette lighter power adapter so you can run your unit off of one of those rechargeable portable car jumper batteries.

Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz