Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Coal Management

Nu-Guy
Nu-Guy Posts: 136
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was looking over Elder Ward's instructions for creating a long burn. In Pt1-The Fire, he gives instructions for laying the coal in a particular arrangement. My question is, do you follow this method, layer upon layer, until the fire box is full?
Or is it a bunch of large pieces, then a bunch of medium size and top off with the small stuff until the you reach the top of the fire box?
Thanks!

Comments

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    Nu-Guy,[p]I generally put one or two big bieces on the bottom, then the medium pieces on top of that, then the smaller ones on top of that, then the ash if you want. 3-4 layers of lump in TOTAL, not 3-4 repeated over and over. Make sense?[p]Troy
  • Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Nu-Guy,[p]Elder's method has much merit and can be followed for the purist's in each of us. I personally just dump whatever falls out of the bag to fill the firebox to the desired level then tamp it down good and tight with the ash tool. Light it and start cooking. "Caution to the wind" method has always worked well for me and I've never had a problem to this day. Many 20-25 hours cooks without a fire outage or fuel run-out.[p]Just another "IMHO" for what it's worth.[p]Bob

• RLA
    RLA Posts: 89
    Nu-Guy,
    Where are the instructions by Elder...? Id like to read them myself.
    Bob

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    RLA,[p]Check this link

[ul][li]Pulled Pork[/ul]
  • mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Does this mean I'm gonna have to buy 3 different coal containers so I can sort it properly when I open the bag? Jeez...I don't even sort my laundry! But admittedly, this is much more important!

• Nu-Guy
    MollyShark,
    Gee, You mean the BGE does laundry too! They didn't tell me that when I picked it up. Humpty sure is kool.

• Nu-Guy
    Thanks Bob,
    That sure sounds easier. Guess I'll try both ways sometime and see which works good for me. Dumping the black gold in and setting it on fire sounds like more fun :)

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Nu-Guy,
    That pulled pork recipe experience is a fine read but I have to let my lazy side come to the surface now and again. The recipe is great with exception of the sorting and layering lump parts. I have been lucky in that when I pour in the lump it is properly sorted automatically. Amazing! Do try to avoid having too much old lump - try to use as much fresh lump for max burn time. I have gone 21 hrs with a little left. [p]Tim

• sprinter
    sprinter Posts: 1,188
    MollyShark,[p]In reality, I just dump the bag until the firebox is full, heaping I mean, then pack it down good and tight. I do like the EW method though and can see the advantage. However, I get 15 hours out of the easy way and thats generally good enough for me. The first time I read EW's method I chuckled about the mental picture of him sitting in his garage with a big pile of lump in front of him sorting it into piles.[p]My laundry has 2 piles, clean and dirty.[p]Troy
  • Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Tim M, I do believe that I use about the same method you do! Works great for me.

• Nu-Guy
    Tim M,
    I like that automatic sorting system...pour the coal out of the bag and whala...ya got coal in the egg. I need to be reminded that this is supposed to be fun, not work. What you said about using fresh coal really make good sense. Again, Thanks Guys (and Girls)

• Tim M
    Tim M Posts: 2,410
    Nu-Guy,[p]The only time pouring from the bag doesn't work well is at the end of the bag. Your going to get a lot of charcoal dust - I avoid too much of it as it just smokes alot longer. Maybe for that really long cook you could por it in to fill the gaps but 21+ hrs should cook a wooly mammoth shoulder.[p]Tim