Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Any Auto mechcanics out there?

Options
bubba tim
bubba tim Posts: 3,216
edited November -1 in Off Topic
I have a dakota with 95k on it (04) When I back off the trottle at low speeds (less than 25) I hear a grinding noise coming from the back end. Pinion problems? Don't think it is the drive shaft
SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP

Comments

• Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options
    The last Dodge I had was a 98 Stratus Euro Sport in great shape that was such a piece of cr@p I literally gave it away. Now I have a 93 Honda Civic with twice the mileage that puts it to shame.

I'm no mechanic but think your right about drive shaft, never knew a universal to grind. All I can suggest is checking lube level in rear end. It couldn't be a wheel bearing could it?

Good luck Tim,

Gator
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    I think you may have nailed it. :ohmy: You can probably move the U Joint back and forth a bit as it probably has too much play. Unfortunately it sounds like you are in for a new ring gear and pinion with bearings. The ring gear and pinion usually cost between 150 and 200 plus bearings and labor. :pinch:
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Neil said to jack it up on jack stands Dakotas are know for brake drum problems. check the hardware in the brakes. hard to tell with out hearing it and being there. step in the brake in gear and see what it does... you should get 200,000 out of the rear end....
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Thanks Julie,

I thought the same. Problem is I have dics all he way around. I have a 4X4, and I am thinking it could be the transfer case...Taking it into the dealer this am...I hope I get dinner.... :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP