Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spatchcock Chicken direct or indirect ?

EGGARY
EGGARY Posts: 1,222
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I want to break in my EGG. I want to do a Spatckcock chicken. What is best, direct or indirect ? I have seen videos with bacon on top. Done this before ? Does chicken need to be turned ? Dome temp ? 350 o.k ?

Thank you.

Gary

Comments

• PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Either way will work just fine. I do raised direct 350, and bird is done in 45 mins. Indirect at 400 bird is done in about 1.5 hours.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Either is fine. Indirect is probably safer. If you go direct try and cook on a raised grid and or put less lump in the egg to get a little distance between the lump & food.

Bacon never hurts anything and is always good on chicken and turkey.

Cook to meat temperature. Calibrated 400° dome is a great temperature for whole or spatchcock.

You shouldn't have any problems but check the underside of the bird for too much char. If you want a more crispy skin put the skin down towards the last 20 or so minutes before finish.

Sounds like good eats are coming up for you.

GG
  • DrZaius
    DrZaius Posts: 1,481
    I am doing 2 chicken tonight on a raised grid and direct. The egg will run about 350 - 375 range
    This is the greatest signature EVAR!
  • EGGARY
    I have a grill extender. So that will raise the chicken. I also have lump reducer for the XL. So I will be using less lump.

Thank you.

Gary
  • Grumps
    Grumps Posts: 186
    I do mine direct at 350, bones down for 25 minutes then flip and breast down for 20 minutes. Double-check internal temp with instant read thermometer with goal being thigh around 180 and breast around 165.
  • EGGARY
    What kind of rub/seasoning ? Bacon ? Butter-garlic underneath the skin ?

I saw a video in YouTube. A guy put peach slices between the skin and breasts and then put bacon on top.

Gary
  • HolySmokes
    HolySmokes Posts: 446
    I usually do spatchcocked chicken indirect, and always do a pair on the large. About 350 dome temp and let 'er rip until you get breast temps you want.

Some complain that the skin isn't crisp, but no-one ever complains that it isn't the juiciest chicken ever.

enjoy, either way!
    HS
  • Grandpas Grub
    You are wide open to seasonings. If you have DP, any of the hot, dizzy dust, lemmon tree (lemmon pepper). Anything in the pantry.

You can put some fruit, lemons or fruit under the skin. To me that's just a lot of work.

400° spatchcock or whole pulling at 165° meat will end up looking something like this
    chick400.jpg

chicken3.jpg

If you want a great meal use either spatchcock or whole and try this
    http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=112&func=view&catid=1&id=626228#626228

GG
  • EGGARY
    I guess the best way to find out is to do two chickens, one, direct, and the other indirect.

Gary
  • Grandpas Grub
    Gary, both ways will turn out great and by all means put some bacon on the chicken as well as a few (a lot) of strips next to the chicken. The extra strips are for you not the chicken.

Stop worrying and cook your bird.

Watch the egg temperature, which ever you decided to use and watch the done temperature of the bird (bird temp is most important).

Kent
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    I usually cook them at 350º direct on a raised grid. But a tray of veggies under the chicken(s) for an indirect cook at 375º-400º works well for me too. Peppers and onions are a favorite here. Potatoes too, but I nuke the sliced potatoes for a few minutes first.