Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

spider vs. platesetter

Options
dougemsmacks
dougemsmacks Posts: 152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I tried some smoked chicken pieces on the spider with an adjustable rig yesterday and it turned out much better than usual. Before I always used a plate setter with the small extended grid.

I know the adjustable rig is a little higher in the dome but that doesn't seem enough to make a difference. Is it possible that the increased distance between the ceramic and the food made the difference? Or did I have a good cook?

Comments

• Eggscriber
    Eggscriber Posts: 276
    Options
    So you had nothing blocking the infrared radiant heat when you used the spider...right? If this is the case, I think that you'll get a better crispy skin on chicken parts if the coals can heat up the skin on a raised grid without a platesetter. That way the skin will get hotter than the air temp in the dome, and you'll get 400 degree temp on your skin in a 350 degree egg. I know that my wings taste fried when I do them on a raised grid without the platesetter at 350-400.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    It isn't clear how your spider/AR was setup or used.

For indirect I use a drip pan on the inverted spider then the grid on the adjustable rig.

I like cooking higher up in the dome and to me there is a difference.

Here is a slow chicken cook, low level of lump, direct with the adjustable rig and BGE raised grid. I got almost 16" distance between the lump and chicken.

Very tasty.
    chicken1.jpg

chicken3.jpg

GG
  • dougemsmacks
    dougemsmacks Posts: 152
    Options
    I am sorry I wasn't clear on the set up, I had a pizza stone on the spider and the adjustable rig on the top level. I cooked at 275° and pulled the chicken @ 175°.

Chicken came out good but the skin was paper thin not crispy at all( does not matter anyway)