Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Butchers string?

Mulligan StuMulligan Stu Posts: 18
edited 9:21PM in EggHead Forum
Went to the local grocery store. They did not sell the string, but the butcher gave me some for this cook.
Just wondering if it is 100% cotton and could I get this at a local hardware store in the sting section, or is there something else to it?

• MickeyMickey Posts: 17,622
    go to
    Regency cooking twine 100% cotton 16ply strength.
    It is very thick and will not slide into the meat as the thin will do.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• Walmart has it. Appears to be cotton string.
  • deltadawndeltadawn Posts: 94
    up here in WI, I found it at the local Fleet Farm store in the cooking/canning dept. So maybe a similar store in your area.
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,600
    My butcher told me that any 100% cotton string/twine will work. ;)
  • FlaPoolmanFlaPoolman Posts: 11,670
    I asked the butcher and he sold me a 200' spool for $2.00. Guess he was tired of giving it to me :blush:
  • I have the butchers string however i don't know how to tie that non slip knot they use, can anyone help me with that? Bucky Buckshot
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,172
    I just use a surgeon's knot.

Maybe not correct, but effective for me.

Surgeon's Knot
  • cookn bikercookn biker Posts: 13,407
    That's where I got mine, hardware dept.
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • rosrosrosros Posts: 408
    I use silicone ties. Can reuse, somewhat like a zip tie.
  • faithie999faithie999 Posts: 95
    any of your local hardware stores will have cotton string--ace, true value, do-it best, etc