Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CWM baby backs--the results and comments please!

Options
Large Marge
Large Marge Posts: 404
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got home from the 4th cookout-fest... see the picture thread below and I welcome any color with the following questions:

1- I used two types of Costco baby backs- the Swift 3 slab vacu-pak, and a 2-slab nearly fresh butcher cut at Costco. I should have marked them but I suspect the fresh cuts ended up the better of the two-- am I correct here? Some slabs were wonderful, others a bit tough - curious if the vacu-packs (or older ribs) were consistently tougher.

2- I'm sure the cook is to blame- big question I had today was dome temp vs. rib-level temp. The dome was near perfect at 225 for 3 hrs, then 250-275 in the final 2. At the rib level my redi-chek was showing 200 up to 240 max-- was this too cool over the 5 hrs or was it correct?

Thanks in advance...enjoy the slide show below!

ribsfourth.jpg
2 hours in - these were rubbed with mustard and Dizzy dust and sat in the fridge for a little over an hour before the smoke. Smoke was apple and cherry.

IMG_5116.jpg
5 hours in - spritzed them every hour with 50/50 apple juice and cider vinegar, raised the temp to 250 after 3 hrs per CWM method. Decided to give them another 20 minutes before pulling as they didn't seem tender enough.

IMG_5126.jpg
Packed them up and grabbed the Smokey Joe and headed to the BGE-less party to finish- these sat un-sauced in foil packs for about an hour before finishing, wondering if I should have added some cider mix?

IMG_5129.jpg
Ready to go!! Nice white color and broke apart well, just spotty - some were fantastic, others tougher- wondering if the cuts of ribs made the difference or perhaps I should have shifted them in the rack during the smoke?

IMG_5132.jpg
A sign of perhaps a B to B+ rating... devoured but not totally devoured! Happy to bring the leftovers home though!

Comments

• Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Well... I am so stuffed I can not move.... but my mouth is watering......
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    Options
    Did Costco ribs (3 racks) via CWM's recipe to the letter. BEST DARN RIBS WE HAVE EVER HAD. That guy Mike knows his business. :)
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Hi Marge! And welcome to the forum!! I was watching your posts earlier. First, do you have a probe thermometer? Didn't see one in your pics earlier. The best investment you can make!! And it doesn't have to be a fancy one! My most reliable probe thermo I bought at Wal-Mart for $15 by Pyrex. This will allow you to monitor the internal temp of the meat. I suspect the tougher ribs could actually have used a bit more time on the Egg to allow the connective tissue to break down some more. (and believe it or not, I would suspect the 'fresh' were actually the tougher of the two, for the reason above. I know you pulled yours a lot sooner than we pulled ours, and we were cooking at similar dome temps. (We did ribs today, too) The probe thermometer will help you tremendously, for nearly all your cooks! ;)
    Welcome!! Keep on Eggin!! And a Happy 4th to you!
    Michelle
  • Large Marge
    Large Marge Posts: 404
    Options
    thanks... I used a Redi-chek smoker thermometer but didn't use a thermapen on the meat - do you actually check the actual meat temp on a rib? What temp are you shooting for? I just go by sight, flexibility, and cook time. Did nearly 5 1/2 hours and wondering if the temps were too cool or positioning of the meat in the rack, or perhaps didn't use enough spritz each hour? this was my first time doing CWM method / time. Normally I do them hotter and over 2-2 1/2 hours and have to say the difference in flavor was noticeable - 5+hrs in a smoky dome is great! but as for the chew / texture / finish I can't say this method was much better than the faster one-- though I'm sure I messed something up. Keep the advice coming!! thx
  • USDA Prime
    USDA Prime Posts: 89
    Options
    Based on what's left, what more needs be said :whistle: !!!!
  • Luvs to shoot clay
    Options
    Since there is not much bone sticking out of the meat, I suspect they could have cooked a little longer. Maybe wrapped in foil for a couple of hours, I know everyone doesn't agree with this but it sure makes the meat tender. Then put them back on the grill or just eat them right out of the foil. My group usually can't wait while I put them back on the grill. I haven't ever put the thermo pen in them to see what they have cooked to but if they will flex easily, they are done. If they break in the middle when you pick them up they are really done. Either way, they are good. I really like the bagged Costco ribs better than the fresh ones they sell.
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    What LC said!!! ;)