Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New small egg

Options
Dawgtired
Dawgtired Posts: 632
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got a small egg for my birthday last week. Already have a large and absolutely love it. I asked for the small mainly for different temperature cooks. However I realized one of the benefits quickly. I can now sear the steaks on the small and already have the the large at 450. Now I don't have to sweat trying to get the temperature to drop from 800+ to 450 in 20 minutes. I do have two quick questions. Is there any difference in cooking on the small? It looks like the grill is a lot closer to the lump, or I may have just added more lump than necessary. Also, mine came with the old hinge style, arms on the side which restricts the opening size. I ran into The Naked Whiz yesterday at the grocery store and he told me about the new-new hinge assembly. Nobody at Ace Hardware mentioned this to my wife. Anyone had any luck getting a new one swapped out at no charge?
Thanks to everyone at this wonderful forum for all your help!!

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• tn slagamater
    Options
    Dawgtired,The small has a much closer grilling surface than the large vis a vis the heat source, as you noted. It is a better cooker for searing IMO due to this. For other cooking, you are better off to use a second, raised grill on the small, get a little distance off the coals. You will have to pay for the new hinge due to the fact that BGE raised the price of the small charged to dealers to cover the new hinge cost. The new hinge is WELL worth it....[p]
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Dawgtired,[p]Hey! I just talked with a guy yesterday in a grocery store parking lot and he looked just like you! [p]I've not heard of anyone getting a free swap. I think it would be up to the dealer to eat the cost if he wanted to do a swap. In general dealers were selling the old hinge before offering the new hinge, I think. Maybe you could get Ace Hardware to get you one at cost or something since you have bought two eggs from them and they didn't tell you about the new hinge. There is nothing really wrong with the old hinge, it is just that most people think the new one is better since it opens further and you can open it with one hand, so your dealer may or may not take pity on you. [p]I'd offer you my "old-new" hinge which can be made to work with a rutland gasket, but I've already promised it to another fellow egger. [p]TNW[p]
    The Naked Whiz
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Dawgtired, I agree with you and love my large and small combo - I built my table to hold the two of them side by side. As for the new hinge I purchased the thing a couple of weeks ago - however upon seeing how much space that gear takes at the rear I saw it would wreck my table so I took it back for a refund. BTW Hotlanta told my the m/s/r/p is $54 for each of the 3 sizes - sounds weird but it's the truth.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.