Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lobster

Options
lilaccityhearth
lilaccityhearth Posts: 142
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anybody have any experience smoking lobster in the shell on the egg

Comments

• WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Options
    Not sure why, but Mark chose to steam the honkin' big lobsters he brought here from New Hampshire last weekend.
  • ccbassking
    ccbassking Posts: 71
    Options
    Lobstah is one of those things that is best left to traditional methods IMHO. A lot of folks here have had success with tails etc myself included (4lb baked stuffed)but its a cook I don't usually plan for the egg Have a happy fourth :)

Joe
    Cape Cod Ma
  • Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Hi Mike. Like ccbassking said, lobster can be done on the EGG, but many have tried and most reported luke warm results. Overcooking a lobster is disastrous and since it's especially difficult to judge doneness on a whole lobster, most folks stick to the tried and true method of timed steaming. Mark
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Do a search for "Dwell in the shell" ( least I think thats what it was called ) it was posted here years ago...never personally done it though...many said they liked it..
  • WWSis
    WWSis Posts: 1,448
    Options
    Mornin, brother. Going to pick up my ribs from the Market today. Think we'll do another batch...will have to do without the DP seasoning unless my package came into the post office this morning. :cheer:
  • NU2BBQ
    NU2BBQ Posts: 98
    Options
    Mike

Stick to the tried and true, boiled or steamed.
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Used to do them all the time. Par boil for 6 minutes . Take them out and cut just the backs lenght wise without going thru the underside. Then indirect at 280 degrees. Use a lite smokeing wood. Smoke for about 10 minutes. Maine Labstas work best. :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • CaptainJimmy
    CaptainJimmy Posts: 158
    Options
    my method is pretty similar to bubba tim's... I parboil for 10 minutes in salty water and then grill for lke 8 minutes at 300 or so.

I used to do this all the time on my weber gasser. I had a hookup for fresh lobsters, $4 a lb caught that morning. Cheaper than steak - we ate fresh caught bugs 3 times a week for the whole summer.

And not all maine lobsters are caught in maine - us flatlanders catch a bunch of them too!!