Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I Hope Everybody Else Has Good Weather Tonight...

Options
thirdeye
thirdeye Posts: 7,428
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
DSC08245a.jpg

...because we had a flash flood. It started innocently enough, cloudy skies that had been spitting rain on and off. I had just put my bamboo steamer in my wok, when the rain picked up a little. Just in case, I put up a golf umbrella to shield the cooker. Within a few minutes all he77 broke loose.
DSC08240a.jpg

DSC08238a.jpg

About that time, the winds really picked up and the rain was horizontal. This is looking out my front door. That blur is my American flag getting torn off the pole.
DSC08239.jpg

A couple of shots of the school grounds behind my house. After about 40 minutes everything did settle down, and my veggies were just right.
DSC08242a.jpg

DSC08241a.jpg
DSC08243a.jpg

DSC08246a.jpg

a28000c5.gif
Happy Trails
~thirdeye~

Barbecue is not rocket surgery

Comments

• tbonemac
    tbonemac Posts: 69
    Options
    What is cooking in the bamboo?
    So far great weather in Tennessee, alomst to bad we are needing some ran. I spent the day watering the yard and flower beds and garden. Moon shining and (2) butts just went on 3 hours ago.
  • FSUScotsman
    FSUScotsman Posts: 754
    Options
    I thought moon shining was something we did in the eastern part of the state?
    :laugh: :laugh:
  • tbonemac
    tbonemac Posts: 69
    Options
    We have our share in the western part. It is a beautiful night out there, hardly any clouds in the sky and a light breeze with plenty of mook light.
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Looks like the lawn mower will get a work out in a few days as things seem to be growing at a rapid rate.I have the exact steamer in my basement that has not been used for over a year.Time to get that puppy inside of the Egg.Just off the cuff I can't see any water in the bottom of the wok which normally if my brain is still working should be about a 1/4 of a inch up the side of the bamboo for the steaming process or that might be a shot taken when the cook is finished.Have a great fourth guy.
  • thirdeye
    Options
    The water is all underneath, I start with about a pint, then add any additional by removing the lid and pouring through the slats.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• thirdeye
    Options
    Corn on the cob, broccoli, green onions, sweet onions and a slice of bell pepper.
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~

• Clay Q
    Clay Q Posts: 4,486
    Options
    Geepers, :ohmy: you sure get hit with extreme weather.
    Good thing you got a heavy egg! You need a wind break BBQ smoke shack.....I can see it now......"Thirdeye's Smoke Shack". Build it outa 6x6's, concrete and steel i-beams.

Good weather here, going kayaking in the mornin, rib cooking in the afternoon, fireworks watchin in evening. In between a little beer drinkin.
    Have a great 4th! :cheer:
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

We had that yesterday.

That is a lot of erosion and a crap pot load of rain on that ground back there.

Looks like the sun was out again on that last picture.

We were supposed to get hit again today but it didn't happen.

Put on the rubber boots and have a good night's sleep.

GG
  • thirdeye
    Options
    The official numbers are 1.5" of rain in 40 minutes at my house. The worst reported so far was 1" in 13 minutes along the river west of me. The photo's in this mornings paper are pretty impressive with submerged cars and all.

This afternoon's forecast is the same & I have a pair of 5 buckles standing by in the garage. :laugh:

On the brighter side I have some ribs, wings, corn on the cob and a cured side of salmon to keep me busy. Even if we have a "rain delay" today day, it's no big deal.

a28000c5.gif
    Happy Trails
    ~thirdeye~