Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork question - Help Needed

Options
Chef Boyaree
Chef Boyaree Posts: 150
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
OK... have a good amount of experience w/ pulled pork but bought what they had at the store and just ran into a problem. I bought 2 6.5 lb picnic cuts. I am supposed to go to a party tomorrow at 1PM and I will be bringing the bbq. I put the shoulders on at 7 PM planning to remove them at 6AM when I put on the ribs and chicken. I have the egg at 215 but the shoulder is already at 144. I need the pork to make it on the grill until at least 5am or so.... any suggestions?

Comments

• Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    Options
    You should be fine. They are still below the plateau. Even if the cook finishes early, put them oven at 170 and let it rest in there for a while.
  • Chef Boyaree
    Options
    so you think I should keep them on the egg all night? I actually just took them off with the plan of putting them back on at 11:30 before I go to bed. That way I should be fine in the morning... Just seems like I chose some very small shoulders and don;t want them to dry out...
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    215 dome temp is very low. assuming you are shooting for 195 butt temp, I really doubt you are going to be short on time. My concern would be going long, again, foil and stick in the oven to finish in the AM. If you need to get the ribs on and you are at 180, finish at 250 in the oven and then rest. Either way, butts are very forgiving.
  • Chef Boyaree
    Options
    I agree about the butts. I had planned on on using a heated cooler to store the butts... then the chicken and ribs once they were finished. If you think I should just roll w/ the overnight cook as is, I will. I have definitely found that butts are forgiving... but these are some little ones...
  • Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    Options
    I would leave them on they will be fine. Even if they get up to 200 they will be fine it is hard to dry out a butt @ 2 hours a pound.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    You can hold them as whole butts very well. I would keep on cooking.
  • Chef Boyaree
    Options
    I put them back on and will take them of early am when they hit temp, wrap in foil, and put in a heated cooler.