Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pompano!

Options
Bigsmoke
Bigsmoke Posts: 30
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Great Friday to all! Two, three pound, whole Pompano await a meeting with the BGE. Tried 'em last time at 600* for three min per side. Fish was wonderful, but the skin was pretty charred. I was entertaining the idea of trying to go slower, i.e. indirect, lower heat. Any ideas? Thanks a ton, and as always, [p]Good Egging to You![p]-Bigsmoke

Comments

• Banker John
    Options
    Bigsmoke,
    Pompano are great smoked. It is an oily fish and does very very well smoked low & slow.[p]Clean filets and rinse well. Place in a glass baking dish. Coat with Kosher salt. Cover with plastic wrap and cover with ice cubes ( you want to chill the fish but not soak them). Place in fridge overnight. Nex morning light grill and bring to temp at 200. Grapefruit wood or mangrove is my favorite for pompano.[p]Remove fish from glass dish and let come to room temp. This will cause a "tack" on the fish; this is normal. Melt a stick of butter and put some paprika and pinch of saffron in the melted butter.[p]You want to do the fish indirect![p]Place fish on rack and sprinkle with paprika and black pepper. Place rack into egg. After 30 minutes, pull rack and wash with the butter. Sprinke again with black pepper and light on the salt. Paprika is for looks; if it needs it, use it. Back on another 30 minutes, repeat the butter wash and salt & pepper. From now on, only butter wash and no more salt. Continue with this process every 30 minutes until done (for a 3/4" filet (an average pompano) this should take about 3.5 - 4 hours. To test if done, use a fork and flake the flesh in a few spots (both thick part & thin parts) I don;t let it get too dry, but do want the flesh to be firm.[p]This is a true delicacy when prepared properly! I remember as a kid having back yard parties and doing this with 70-80 mullet on my dads homemade smoker. AAhhhh the memories! This method can be used on mullet, amber jack, king mackeral, spanish mackeral, fresh tuna & fresh swordfish.[p]Please let us know how you choose to do it and the results.[p]Banker John