Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Ultimate Hotdog Question

NooBBQNooBBQ Posts: 134
edited 12:13PM in EggHead Forum
Some time ago, I read here on the forum about this ultimate hotdog, that got precarved diagonally, soaked in beer, I mean the works, a piece of art.

Of course this weekend would be the perfect justification to really work on a hotdog like that, but I can no longer find the thread/post. I have tried tricking the search engine into giving up the results, but it comes back with too many results given that search terms such as Ultimate AND Hotdog are nit all that unique.

Does anyone know which post/technique I am talking about?

noBBQ,
·

Comments

• Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Not sure about soaking.

There were a lot of talk about cutting the casing so the smoke would infuse better into the hot dog. 3 ligth slices through the casing on top and bottom of the dog/brat.

Marinating seems it would be, just put it in the flavor you want.

GG
    ·
  • Cpt'n CookCpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    They were probably talkin' bout Pearl hot dogs.
    Hotdog.jpg
    ·
  • You could try this post

Doug
    ·
  • that was in fact a discussion about pearl hotdogs, which can only purchased in and around the boston mass. area and southern NH. ...great hotdogs. ..and the preferred way to grill them is to put a bunch of slices in them, then grill them till they have just a nice char on them. ..the technique was perfected by 'fred' of fred's franks, a roadside stand in wakefield mass outside of boston. .. .they have a great casing and just the right amount of spice in them. ...just a fantastic dog and served up with a good hearty mustard and maybe some onion and/or sour kraut. . .and you are in heaven!!! my buddy carey (sundown) brought some down to waldorf eggfest and supervised me as i did a batch of them on a mini ala-fred. ..

waldorf2-016.jpg

waldorf2-017.jpg

waldorf08024.jpg

and this is actually a pic of fred. . . notice he and i actually wear the same pants!!!

fredsfranks.jpg
    ·
  • Like this...

PrimeHotdog.jpg

Dipstick
    ·
  • NooBBQNooBBQ Posts: 134
    Thanks for all the quick and great reactions. That was exactly what I was looking for.

nooBBQ,
    ·
  • SSN686SSN686 Posts: 2,955
    Morning Max:

Just because someone else wears the same pajamas as you, that still doesn't make them PANTS! :lol: :lol:

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

·
  • RRPRRP Posts: 15,007
    Jay - nice to see you posting again - seems like after you left Peoria you clammed up! I hope all is well with you and yours!
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
    ·
  • SSN686SSN686 Posts: 2,955
    Morning Ron:

Life got in the way of free time for the past few weeks, but hopefully can get back in the swing of things again.

We didn't get a chance to talk much at Peoria, but we did have a great time. Not sure about next year, but we make it again.

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

·
  • Max, do you have any trouble with the law, concerning noise ordinances when you wear that outfit? Now THAT'S loud! :laugh:
    ·
  • Nathan's split and stuffed with cheese then wrapped with bacon :woohoo:

IMG_2164800x600.jpg

If you serve over lettuce and tomatoes with some grilled onions, they are heart healthly :silly:
    IMG_2171800x600.jpg
    ·