Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone into pistols?

Options
Rolling Egg
Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
edited November -1 in Off Topic
I bought a Ruger Super Blackhawk 44mag today with only one box of shells shot thru it.Its in perfect condition and it came with a box of shells. I gave 420 for it. How you think I did? My dealer close by ask me 620 for one when I called plus tax. I think the box of shells go for 35.
4420mag.jpg

Comments

• Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    Thats a good Price. Any good revolver new runs $600. and up.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options

There are some very knowledgeable people on the forum.

Not familiar with it other than a single action revolver. Is it a .44 mag. If so, that is a fun round to shoot.

If you are happy then it is a good deal.

GG
  • Rolling Egg
    Options
    Yea, 44 mag. Sorry bout that. I did edit my post.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    That is a fun caliber to shoot - it rattles your teeth. The .44 mag I shot was a lighter frame and I sure could feel it.

I would love to have a Kimber 1911 .45

GG
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    Options
    I have a few . . .

That Ruger looks like a good deal, Congrats!

S&W Model 29-3 Silhouette .44 Mag 10 3/8 " barrel
    SW_29_11a.jpg
    Colt Pythons Top 3 are 8" barrels - 1980, Bottom is 6" - 1963, 2nd down is .38 Speciel, the rest are .357 Mag
    Colt_Pythons.jpg
    Colt Python Hunter 1980 8" barrel
    Colt17_500.jpg
    Colt Diamondback 6" 1976 .22lr
    DB3-1.jpg
    S&W Model 17-6 .22lr 8 3/8" barrel
    DSCN1565-1-1.jpg

These are a few that keep my other guns company. ;)

Gator
  • bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Options
    Damn Gator! "Make my Day". :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Rolling Egg
    Options
    My thoughts exactly!!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: Ok I know its a auto but heres my baby.
    Sig Sauer P220 45 w/ hogue grips
    IMG_1128.jpg
    Lil brother
    IMG_1135.jpg
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Pretty grips on the S&W Gator
  • Gator Bait
    Options
    LOL, they're sort of addictive.

Here's one that will put them where ya want them. A Remington XP-100 Varmint .223 Rem 15" barrel, can't remember the date. Scope is a Burris 2-7X handgun scope w/engraved rings.
    DSCN1681-1.jpg
    There was life before the egg! :woohoo:

Gator
  • Gator Bait
    Options
    Thats a beautiful pair of guns, Rolling Egg.

I only have few semi-autos.

A pair of Ruger MkIII Hunters .22lr, scope is a Leupold 2.5-8X 32mm handgun scope. The unscoped model is a limited edition with a shorter 5 1/2" barrel.
    MKIIIHunters2.jpg
    S&W Model 41 .22lr 1972. A great target pistol!
    SW_B-1.jpg
    These puppies can eat up some ammo in a hurry.

Gator
  • Gator Bait
    Options
    Thanks Julie, unfortunately a lot of the older grips are in great demand and some people will put newer grips on a gun so they can sell the grips alone for more money. It takes a chunk out of the collectible value. S&W made some nice grips out of some exotic woods. These might be walnut, I have trouble remembering every detail.

Gator
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    yes, when i'm looking for a new pistol, it's "pretty grips" that i'm looking for!

hahaha

patton had some pretty grips. ivory handled (not pearl). i don't think i'd have said to him "hey! ooooh. those are pretty grips!"

(try the duck yet? essexco is raving, but won't give me the satisfaction of saying it here on the forum. hahaha)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Mainegg
    Options
    OK Stike, In my "former" life, I was going to marry a MT man. I trapped and hunted with him, both bow and gun, I tied flies for fly fishing, did taxidermy and everything a good MT girl should do. I even stopped and got a dead owl that had been hit and put it in the cooler of my car to stuff. and not for the grill :pinch: after 3 years of this I realized he had no intention of letting me off the mt. as we would have cows and chickens and be totally self sufficient, gardens and even the 76 kids he wanted right at home LOL. wind power, solar power... the whole stinking 9 yards. it was a little scary so I was out of there LOL I met Neil a week later and the rest is history as they say :)
    and I love nice wood :whistle:
    and I am having a pizza tossing party at our house tomorrow night and will be having the duck then :P
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    you dated fishlessman? no wonder he stays away from the egg fest

great story, by the way
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Mainegg
    Options
    LOL you are so bad!!!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    its hard to keep a good woman on the mountain, now the ones just released with no place to go seem to stay around for a little while :whistle:
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Nicly said Julie, again thanks for the smile! Your on a roll.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    My bedside 'buddy' is a Colt Trooper..
    ColtTrooper.jpg
    Happy Fourth!
    Flag060409.jpg
  • Gator Bait
    Options
    Hey Rascal,

That's a great old Colt, those full checkered grips are old. Do you know how old it is? If I had to guess I would say late 1950's to early 1960's.

Gator
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Wow, you really must be an enthusiast! I bought it used, 10 years ago from a collector/dealer but know little else about its history. This thread prompted me to do a little on-line research and I learned that the earlier models didn't have a shroud(?) around the ejector (under the barrel) as is the case with mine. Believe it or not, I've never fired it, and while it might stop an assailant cold (with a hit from head to foot), the recoil might be something I've never experienced the likes of! The shells I have are '38 SPECIAL 130GR Metal Case' and "357 MAG. 145 GR. SILVERTIP HP" (the "bad-boys"?). I have no need or interest to sell this gun but I'm curious what it might be worth (for insurance purposes). On another note, I was shopping at Walmart the other day and noticed that the ammo cases were about empty! Left me wondering if this is the result of some kind of anti-gun program being forced down our throats..? Have a Safe & Happy 4th!!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    Rascal,

If you are thinking of using the gun for self defense you had better well get out there and start shooting it, cleaning it and getting comfortable with it. Decide on one round and use that round. If not it could be the worst self defense tool you could ever own.

If a time of panic not being very comfortable with a weapon is very dangerous. You already indicated you are concerned about the kick.

As for ammo being scarce, people are buying up all the rounds that can be produced. The stores around here are rationing out primers for reloading, that is if one can find them.

GG
  • Gator Bait
    Options
    Hi Rascal,

You are correct,the lack of a shroud on the ejector stem, the checkering all the way up and around the logo on the grips and the number of screws in the frame indicate that you have one of the earlier Troopers. You can call Colt Customer Service, give them the serial number and they will probably give you the year of manufacture. They will probably only give out so much info for free but I have gotten years of manufacture from them over the phone.
    Colt does sell an Archive Letter, last I checked for your gun they were $75 and gave you the basic information on your gun when it originally left the factory. They do a very nice job on these letters and it can raise the value of your gun by at least the cost of the letter if you have it.

Colt’s Manufacturing Company LLC
    Attn: Customer Service
    P.O. Box 1868
    Hartford, CT 06144 USA
    Tel: 800-962-COLT
    Fax: (860) 244-1449

Never, ever let anyone take the grips off that gun unless they are someone you trust. It is getting hard to find complete guns of that vintage or older. To many people are putting aftermarket or newer grips on them and selling the old grips for the extra profit. It will screw up the value of your gun if it is not all original. Your photo looks like the gun is in very good condition, that and it's age will give it some value. How much is hard to tell, it's safe to guess that it's probably worth more today then when you bought it. The Trooper and several other Colt models of that period are great guns but do not get the high prices that some of the other Colts can get. The Colt snake guns (they were all named after a snake) are the ones sought out by collectors. The Colt Pythons and Diamondbacks in particular. That and some of the early Colt SAA's (single action army) that can go way back.
    GG is right, if you are going to use it for home defense at least take a safety class and get some range time in. If you should ever have to use it (pray you never do) and you have a choice, use the .38 special ammo. The recoil will be much more civilized. The .357 magnums are to powerful. The police quite carrying them years ago because of the risk of killing innocent people near by. A .357 magnum can go through a wall or two and/or two or three people before stopping, if it takes out the wrong person and it is manslaughter at least.

Thats a great gun, I would be interested if you learn anything about it.

Gator
  • Firetruck
    Firetruck Posts: 2,679
    Options
    I love those, I use to have one just like that, 7.5 inch barrel and all. They are just a little hard to conceal :woohoo:
  • FSUScotsman
    FSUScotsman Posts: 754
    Options
    I think that you did just fine with that price. It's a pretty piece. I have a Ruger 9mm that I really like. I got the 9 because of the price of ammo. I can believe how much it's gone up, especially since about the 4th of November '08. :blink: